1.30.2008

One month old!

Looking back, Clive's first month has gone by quickly! Don't get me wrong, it hasn't always seemed that way in the middle of the night when I've weeped with exhaustion from sleep deprivation. But as we hit the one month milestone today I'm optimistic that these newborn nights will soon come to an end.

Our cute little Clive Simeon has started smiling this past week! I know that seems early but I'm convinced that his grins haven't all been gas-induced. :)

For the most part Clive is doing well during the evenings. He usually eats and then falls asleep right away. We've switched exclusively to bottle-feeding now so the feeding process is much shorter than it used to be. [The story is that the pediatrician said I couldn't breastfeed in the hospital due to the infection in my uterus. So, Clive's had bottles ever since day 1. I attempted to get him off the bottles and would nurse for 30-40 minutes at each feeding but he always needed a bottle supplement afterwards. Now that I'm caring for two munchkins at home, I simply do not have the time to both nurse and bottle-feed him. I was initially very disappointed that I couldn't breastfeed but I'm ok with it now. Bottle-feeding sure is convenient and I love that I can leave Clive at home with Matt without nursing time constraints.]

We're using our cloth sling more with Clive and beginning to venture out with him a little. Sunday we all attended church together for the first time! Clive slept through the whole experience. :)

Happy 1 month birthday, little guy!

11 comments:

Karen said...

Happy one month, Clive!

And I'm glad you're okay with not breastfeeding. You DO have to keep your sanity, after all! I went through the same thing around 5 or 6 months with Olivia, so I understand!

Maybe on his 2-month birthday you'll be sleeping many hours consecutively! :)

Carrie said...

Wow, that month seemed to go fast!! Happy birthday Clive! He is such a cutie! Sorry I haven't had much commenting time lately, but I've been enjoying reading all your posts. :) And I'm glad you've enjoyed (and survived!) this first month as the mother of 2 little ones. :) It gets easier!

Abby said...

I can't believe he's already a month old! WOW! Time flies! He's such a cutie!!!

Katie said...

Sorry breastfeeding didn't work out, but you are right - it will be VERY convenient for you! I'm desperately trying to get Simon to TAKE a bottle, so I can have the convenience once in a while. He took a bottle great his first 5 weeks - but between 5 and 6 weeks, he only had one bottle a week, and all of the sudden, he just didn't like it and will only drink about 3 oz. from a bottle. And that takes him 30 minutes! I just got some bottles on clearance at Target last night ($3!) that claim to help breastfed babies take a bottle. Hopefully that will help.

I'm with you and don't think Clive has gas with those smiles. Simon's been smiling since he was 3.5 weeks old! It just means they're REALLY smart. That's what my grandma says. :)

Mary Ann said...

Wow - it does seem impossible that Clive could be one month old already! And boy, does he ever have a super good-looking smile!

Janelle said...

That is so crazy how fast a month can go by! I'm sure there are times and probably days that you feel like time is crawling by, but on the outside looking in, it sure flew by! Clive is just so adorable and smiling already - what a blessing! Happy one month birthday little man!

Rachel said...

It's really been a month?? Wow what a big boy Clive is. His smiles must make it so much more fun for you all. It sounds like you are settling into a routine of sorts. I have been praying for you and your family. We moms/parents need all of the prayer that is offered up on our behalf:). I'm glad that all is going well for you and yours.

pamela s said...

Happy one month birthday, Clive!

Those are real smiles! Maleia started hers around 3 1/2-4 wks. too! So much fun!

S said...

I can't believe Clive's one month either! How time flies - to me anyways- since I'm not the one up during the night feedings yet. :)
You have such a great attitude about breast-feeding. I would struggle too if I wasn't able to do that. The convenience of doing the bottle would be nice at times, I agree.

the johnson crew said...

happy one month clive! wow, time flew... well, for me it did.

clive is so cute alicia... both of your kids are beautiful.

i too am glad you don't feel bad about breast feeding. i am honestly going to give it my best shot, and I have been praying about it, but i will also have a 4 month old along with my newborn and i think i will have a "good excuse" as well if it doesn't work out. i know that breast feeding has many advantages, but we got to "Keep our sanity." - you are a wonderful mom. (are you able to get WIC to help with formula? we are... so that is a blessing.)

have a good day!

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Hey Alicia - your little boy gets more beautiful every day! I think there is always disappointment when things don't go as we envisioned them (i.e. c-sections) but I don't think you should have to explain to anyone why you make the decision that is best for your family - although I always seem to feel the need to explain ;o)