1.16.2008

Happy birthday to me!

With all that's happened in the past few weeks, I almost forgot about my birthday!

This year was a momentous one since I turned the big 3-0. Funny how leaving the 20's and entering the 30's isn't a big deal to me anymore. When I was younger 30 sounded incredibly old.

Monday, my birthday, was a whirlwind of a day. It was my first day at home handling the 2 kiddos all by myself. I wanted a really nice dinner so I spent all free time I had during the day preparing. We feasted on t-bone steaks (quite a splurge for us!), twice baked potatoes, homemade white bread, spinach salad with crumbled blue cheese (my favorite) and then black forest cake for dessert. Everything tasted great but we had quite a laugh at the dinner table. Chloe woke up crabby from her nap and Clive was a starving screaming boy just as I put all the yummies on the dinner table. So, there we were, Matt trying to console and discipline Chloe who spent the entire dinner crying or getting spankings. And I was feeding Clive while the food got cold. What an introduction to our new life as parents of two!

Seriously though, it was a great day. I looked at my family and realized how thankful I am for them. I couldn't have a better birthday gift than the family God has given me!

14 comments:

Kara said...

Happy Birthday! Steak sound delicious! And you're right, 30 is no big deal. :)

Abby said...

I'm DREADING turning 30 next week! I haven't really said much about it to anyone and not too many people know it's my birthday! I have to work that day, and so does Vince, so he won't be home until 8pm, and then it's Elijah's pre-op appointment day for his surgery, so I'm hoping the day just kind of passes by with not much notice! Your birthday dinner sounded so YUMMY (even if it was cold!). What a nice cake too - I was drooling through the picture! HA! You're right - your beautiful family is such a wonderful birthday present!!!!

Mary Ann said...

Happy Birthday, Alicia! I have to tell you that when I hit 30 in August it kind of knocked me for a loop. Whenever that happens I try to count my blessings. I too, am so thankful for the wonderful people the Lord has put in my life (even if they did give me a hard time about getting old!). I'm glad you were able to enjoy your day & I'm sure you're settling into your new roles as the parents of two with tremendous grace & poise ;-)

Karen said...

Wow! Way to take everything in stride, Alicia! Glad you could laugh through those little frustrations... I know my hormones were raging enough to have made me wallow in my tears for the remainder of the night!

Any presents?

Matt & Nicki said...

Happy Birthday!! I just turned the big 3-0 in October and I was dreading it. . .so you are handling it better than I did. . and yes, your evening does sound like a typical evening with two--not to be all gloom and doom. . .glad you enjoyed the time anyway, and your cake looks yummy!

Rachel said...

I hope that your dinner was yummy despite being a little chilly:). Did it feel good to get back in the kitchen and make all of that delicious food?

You are so very blessed to have two healthy, beautiful children. Isn't it nice to be needed? Even if it's in the middle of your special birthday dinner - that you made?? :)

Turning 30 is NOT a big deal. If you take care of yourself, eat right, exercise, grow in the Lord and rejoice in every day that He gives, why should 30 be such a bad thing? My take on it is, either you turn 30 or you don't - profound, I know. I'll be 32 next month and I don't care a wit. The number sounds old but I wouldn't want to be in my 20's again anyway. :)

christina said...

happy birthday to you! isn't it funny how much life changes with kids? :) i love the commercial where you think the mom and dad are having a fabulous dinner alone and then mashed potatoes go flying by... i love that you can laugh at those moments and enjoy the food anyway. :)

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

So funny!! Happy 30th!! It's really no big deal (seeing as it looks like I'm the oldest to post here ;o) - 30 last March) - it's just weird when on surveys & such it pushes you to the 30-39 category - of course, I like the surveys that break it into the 26-35 group - until I hit 36 . . . ;o) anyway, enjoyed your meal story since I've enjoyed many a cold meal myself - but when you're nursing & starving, even a cold meal is delicious!! Praise the Lord for all He has done and where He has brought you in 30 short years!!!

S said...

Happy Birthday! we had one of those dinners last week with esther and i was thinking that it's going to be even more interesting with two. that's when you wish that you could just fast forward to bedtime. i have a couple more years before 30, but i was talking to a college girl the other day and discovered we had the same birthday, and I was like oh wow..what year, she said 88. She was like, yah, i'm quite a bit younger than you, sorry...I wanted to say thanks, hon, but I just smiled. :) Age is all a matter of perspective I guess!

Janelle said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Some birthdays I guess are just going to be that way probably! At least you got to eat yummy cake! It looks gorgeous and I'm sure it tasted even better! Hopefully your dinner doesn't foretell what this next year has in store for you! I'm sure it was just one of those moments! Glad you had a good day anyway!

ruth said...

Happy Birthday! You have such a great attitude!

the johnson crew said...

happy birthday alicia! wow, i am TOTALLY impressed with the meal that you made. twice baked potatoes sound so good to me. - sorry you didn't get to enjoy it without distractions, but yes, you are so right what a WONDERFUL precious gift your children are.

that cake looks BEAUTIFUL! - way to onset a bunch of cravings for me tonight. :)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Shyla said...

LOL! That sounded just like my day..only it wasn't my birthday! LOL

Glad you were able to enjoy your day anyway and your feast sounds like it would have been scrumptious ...even cold. :)

Karis said...

That cake sure looks good -- I wish it would've worked out for us to have seen you guys and gotten a taste of that cake. :-) We are so exhausted, but we have been filled with challenges from God's Word, the excitement of what's going on around the world, instruction in practical matters, and lots of fellowship. We leave our hotel around 7:45 and have been getting back to our hotel around 7:00, but we didn't came here for a vacation so it's all good.