Before birthing children I thought baby drool was disgusting. Now that I've been hardened as a mom, not much phases me in the bodily fluid arena. I can handle potty accidents and vommit without much flinching these days.But one thing that completely grosses me out is preparing a whole chicken. This afternoon I washed out and seasoned a chicken to roast this afternoon. I physically could NOT put my hand in the poor chicken's innards to get out the unidentified body parts. I closed my eyes and used a wooden spoon to remove said chickeny inside pieces.
Of course, I'll have no problem eating our succulent poultry friend for supper but when the carcass is all raw and naked I can't help picturing it as a live chicken fluttering around the farmyard.
Like, gag me with a wooden spoon. (That, by the way, was one of my favorite expressions in 7th grade.)
What's your ultimate gross-inducing activity?
12 comments:
Oh, Alicia. I am the exact same way with whole chickens. When we first got married, I saw how much less expensive a whole chicken was than boneless skinless chicken breasts so I decided to buy the whole chicken. That was my first time to clean out the innards, and I was gagging. First, I put a plastic bag on my hand so I didn't have to touch it. But, I could still feel parts -- YUCK! Then, I resorted to some sort of a utensil. Then, I called my mom for support while I was doing it. (She, of course, laughed at me). I haven't gotten much better since that day over seven years ago...
Such a funny post. You are very creative in thinking how to put these kind of things on your blog.
Hmmm...if you had asked this a few months ago, I would have had a huge list! Now that my nausea has subsided, I can handle most anything.
In high school/college, I worked in a seafood department - lots of gross things to see there. Not too much grosses me out now but I still struggle with very strong smells. It activates my gag reflex - pregnant or not. I can handle the smells that my child produces but other people's - yucko! I would not make a good health care professional. They encounter ALL kinds of disgusting odors!!
i cant really think of anything, but i would agree that raw whole chickens do gross me out.
I have a hard time making hamburger patties. I know, it's strange...but I do NOT like it at all! I just can't bring myself to touch the raw meat! I usually scoop some inside a baggie and form it that way. And I think whole chickens are yucky too. EW.
All I can think of is spider guts on the wall . .. not much grosses me out. I did have a chicken story for you though. I was raised on a farm and for a while we raised a big bunch (144) for slaughter purposes. We did it all by hand, dipping in hot water, plucking, oh after the head was chopped off, then cleaning and gutting - I still can only eat chicken breast - white meat (no veins or bones!)
Raw meat of any kind is yucky to me but it doesn't make me gag. I do remember when I used to clean houses that cleaning other people's bathrooms would sometimes gag me. Surprisingly enough it wasn't just the toilet that would bother me; if there was lots of hair all around that bothered me just as much. I'm shuddering right now just thinking about it!
I'm in agreement with the general sentiment that raw meat is totally gross. I have a difficult time eating it once it's cooked, if I've had to handle it during preparation.
Also, I apologize in advance if I offend any of you wonderful moms here... but if I answer the question honestly, what grosses me out the most is labor and delivery stories. I know I haven't been there, and some day, I'll be giving the gory details of my own experiences. I also fully recognize that you've all earned the right to tell the tale, and I certainly don't criticize anyone for relating the details. But every time I hear(or read, or watch on TV) the stories, I get a bit nauseated and feel like passing out.
*smiles weakly*
I had to take in inards out of our chicken the other day. Problem was it was still a bit frozen on the inside. I literally had the thing in a bowl on the floor with my legs wrapped around the bowl, my hand inside the beast pulling with all my might. I was laughing so hard and actually contemplated video taping the event. It was gross but the humor got me though the whole ordeal!
I am totally with you on that one! That's why we buy chicken breasts that are already cut off that naked bird! I hate when Thanksgiving rolls around and the same thing has to be done with the turkey. But, like you say, I have no problem gobbling up (pun not intended) the scrumptious cooked birds! I'm not sure that gets any easier, Mommy or not!
I hate preparing whole chickens too!
i grew up butchering chickens so they don't really both me at all....since i had to experience...cutting their heads off, boiling them and then scorching their hair off...then opening them up and taking ALL their innards out....by the time they get to this stage they are looking pretty good to me :)
BOOGERS - SNOT - whatever you want to call it - that green stuff, whatever the stage or consistancy, grosses me out and makes me want to gag!! I used to feel that way about preparing any raw meat, but I just try not to think about it. Oh, and seeing/finding a vein in raw or cooked chicken or biting into a hot dog, sausage, or any other processed meat and finding a hard piece. Ugh! I think I'm going to be sick!!
Post a Comment