Many thanks to all who posted pottying advice and encouragement! Last week was a long haul and my mind is ready to stop analyzing this pottying madness.
Overall, I'd say last week was trying yet profitable. It seems this potty-training jazz is going to be a month-long process so I'm happy that we had a strong start. Chloe sat on the potty oodles of times and actually went on the potty thrice during our 4 day stint. Having diarrhea didn't help matters and made for uncomfortable and messy accidents. She definitely knows now when she's going and can verbally tell me so. We just don't always make it to the potty on time! We did most of our training without a diaper/pull-up/undies on. That seemed to help Chloe identify when she was going and I certainly saw the accidents quickly. :) What's funny to me is that when I put a diaper back on her during our "break" days, she didn't talk to me at all about pottying. It was like she reverted back to diaper days thinking. Her mind was free to focus on the important toddler issues of life - namely playing.
Chloe's much maligned potty chart is pictured at left. I guess I put it too low on the fridge because she's obviously been at those stickers and one heart is missing. Toddler angst I guess!
4 comments:
In general, Michael is a delightfully sweet boy but he has a bit of a mean streak that we have to jump on right away. When he acts naughty, my husband will say, "Why is he doing that?" To which I respond, "Because he is a little heathen and he wants to." Often, we forget that our "sweet" little one has a wicked sin nature. Seeing it in raw form, keeps me on my knees for Michael's salvation.
I hope that you have a super week this week! It sounds like you will have lots to keep you busy:).
I think "no" is a toddlers favorite word. Aaron says "no" for EVERYTHING even when he means "yes". He's finally started saying "yes", but still says "no" so many more times than the other. I can remember when it first started happening too - the whole angel to heathen transformation. There definitely is parent-denial as you say! Guess that means we just need to pray for them more!
Sounds like you have a fun-filled, action-packed week this week! Have fun!
Your schedule requiring you to take a potty training break works well. We're going less intense this week too. Sunday was just too hard being in someone's home and at church, and then today, Kayla had a fever so we've had a 2 day break too. Dan and I both have a French test tomorrow so we're going to play tomorrow by ear and probably the rest of the week too...
I understand the negative attitude thing. Kayla has been in the negative stage for awhile and has just taken it a step further to giving us orders (mimicking us doing it which makes me want to laugh except when I realize how serious it is). She will say, "Mommy, come here. Obey now." "Mommy, stop" when I'm fixing her hair. The not-so-funny part is her tone of voice completely changes when she has this attitude from her normal voice to a stern voice, and I hear my tone of voice... We're working on her requesting what she wants rather than commanding. She has known how to request something politely since what 18 months...
YEA!!!! I am finally (once again) catching up on Chloe, and I just saw that you are having a boy! Yipee! Congrats. I know Matt must be tickled about that. I also saw that you and Chloe has delved into potty training. I was very lucky with LG. She was very interested. We introduced it at 18 months with no pressure, and she is completely trained (except for naptime and bedtime). Our best luck was with panties or naked. With a pull-up or diaper, she would just go in her pants. Keep your chin up. She will learn very quickly when she is ready, and kids are ALL different in this area!
Post a Comment