I decided over the weekend that we'd dive in to potty training this week. My gym's pool is closed for cleaning all week so this week was opportune. I decided to keep the calendar free of play-dates and outings so we could focus hard core on potty training.
Full of naive excitement and hopeful expectation, we began our potty quest on Tuesday morning. I let Chloe play sans-diaper and I watched her like a hawk. I put her on the potty seat every 20-30 minutes and tried to make it a fun time for her. We read books, sang songs, played games, did crafts, colored, you name it we did it on the potty! After 2 accidents, Chloe finally did her business on the potty right before naptime. I made a huge deal of her success and explained at length what she was accomplishing. We've been watching a dvd from the library called Potty Power so Chloe knew just what to do after going potty. She waved at her production, flushed, and then we washed our hands.
After this initial success, I put her in undies after she woke from her nap. She proudly styled her Nemo undies and kept lifting her shirt to look at him. It was so cute! She held her potty in until bedtime and then it was diaper time again.
Day #2 was not so successful or rewarding. In fact, it was really really hard. Seemed like everything wasn't going our way today. I gave Chloe a bit more "freedom" from the potty seat, put her in undies, and instructed her to tell me when she had to go. BAD IDEA. She proved to me she's not got enough control over her bodily functions to move to that step yet. Five accidents later (some very messy), I was in tears and ready to throw in the potty towel. It was obviously a frustrating day for Chloe as well. She did a lot of crying and whining when she had an accident or had to sit on the potty. Did I mention I was thoroughly exhausted, frustrated, and empty of patience by the end of the day?
Looking back on the days events, I can see now that Chloe is certainly ready for potty training. Several times she'd tell me she had to go potty and then as soon as the words were out of her mouth, she'd go. So, I had little or no time to get her to the potty chair. But, the step forward here is that after only one day, she's recognizing that she has to go or is going. I think that's a step in the right direction! Even though it was a frustrating and messy day, that is a definite positive.
Tomorrow I'm going back to my plan for day 1: naked bottom and regular potty sitting intervals. The undies were just too hard to get off in time. And hopefully with more potty sitting, Chloe will have more success than accident (notice I did not say failure). :)
My, oh my, this is hard work! I'm not giving up yet. I'm one stubborn cookie and I'm convinced that Chloe can do this with the proper encouragement and consistency on my part. Am I being a bit too naive here?
9 comments:
Since I have never, ever potty trained a child (and only rarely changed a diaper) I can offer you no advice. But I can say GREAT JOB, Alicia & Chloe! It's hard work & it doesn't happen over night, but you're surely making progress. Hang in there! :-)
I think you're doing great! You haven't lost ALL hope yet and that's GOOD!!! Chloe's so smart and a fast learner and with your constant encouragement things will just keep getting better! Just focus on those "good" days rather than the "bad" and that will probably help too! Keep up the good work!
Oh dear, this brings back far too many memories, and since Silas is almost THREE and has NO interest in the potty, I am not pushing anything!! I put him on several times throughout the day, we talk about it all the time, I remind him he is almost three and a big boy, etc. etc. BUT, he could care less and even tells me he does NOT want to sit on it when its time. All that to say, Chloe is at least interested. . .Sara was sooner than Silas but we did trained in a week like you are trying with Chloe. (which by the way, I kept Sara in pull-ups at night for quite a while even after she was dry during the days) One week of hard core on the potty every 20 minutes ALL WEEK LONG!! Each day I would stretch the intervals, but that is all we did for a week was potty train--and this was our second go at it. I had tried four months earlier and it was an absolute nightmare!!! If YOU are determined, it can happen. I am totally convinced it is just as important for MOM to be ready as toddler. GOOD LUCK--or MUCH BLESSING, if luck isn't appropriate:)
I haven't been through this stage, but it sure seems like you're doing a great job to me.
you're doing great, alicia! my sister just finished up potty training her 2yr-old and had some of the same set-backs. she would say, "i'm peeing! i'm peeing!" she knew what was happening it just took her a few days to really get her timing down. she'll get it. i can tell you're determined. i'm just glad i'm not to that stage yet. :)
The only other advice I would offer is every time you go - take her with you and have her go. With Caleb he got on my schedule which makes it easier now and later. I have heard great things about the running around bare bottom procedure, keep at it! Also Caleb took much longer to make it through naps and nights then the day training - He was 2 1/2 for days and after 3 before making it through the night. Keep up the positive comments and cheering!
Don't give up! You are doing great. Your hard day is normal in the beginning stages of potty training. That's so exciting that she is recognizing that she needs to go, and that she doesn't like going in her underwear. Keep up the great work, and before you know it you'll be ready to clean your carpets b/c it's all over. I'll be praying for you this week.
One other thing, I would recommend (if you have a plastic cover on her mattress) letting her sleep in underwear through the night. The first night or two may be a little tiring if she wakes up wet, but after that she will probably get the hang of it and wake up in enough time to let you know she needs to go.
You're almost to the end of day 3 -- hope you're still hanging in there strong despite the incredibly tired feeling you must be fighting. I feel your pain as you know from my emails because I am right there with you this week. I prayed for you this morning when I prayed for myself and Kayla -- this is definitely not something to attempt without prayer especially in regards to my heart and what comes out of it.
Hey Al,
Hmmm. My daughter is 2 1/2 and she is still not getting it!! You will be proud of me though, for baby 2, I am starting to cloth diaper. Love you,
Jules
Post a Comment