9.21.2007

A red-letter day for me

This seems like such a silly thing to post but something's telling me you might identify and empathize with me on this.

I'm usually a consistent stainer of my apparel. This clutzy tendency of mine seems to heighten during pregnancy due to the presence of my food-catching burgeoning belly.

Two days ago I rifled through my maternity wardrobe (which is much bigger now thanks to my dear marmee!) and chose a cute baby doll white shirt. I hesitated as I pulled it off the hanger. "WHITE shirt, Alicia?", I thought to myself, "Are you crazy? You'll have this puppy stained in less than an hour."

Not so, daddy-o! I managed to keep my shirt stain free until bedtime!!! (I did manage one teensy-weensy toothpaste liquid stain that was hardly noticeable so I'm not counting it.)

I think Chloe's inherited my stain-affinity. Seems like every day I'm spritzing her clothes with spray-n-wash or soaking something in oxyclean. Now I'm curious, what do you use for stain removal?

(By the way, I did NOT wear the shirt pictured above. I just think it's hilarious. Kelly should get a math-kick out of it.)

12 comments:

Mary Ann said...

That shirt is very funny! I saw lots of shirts in Vienna that said "There are no kangaroos in Austia!" which I also thought was very funny :-)

Janelle said...

Yes, my Aaron is notorious for staining his clothes too! I use stain stick AND Spray 'N Wash if necessary. They seem to do pretty good as long as I remember to put it on! I'm not really a stain magnet so much as my husband! He likes to wear kacki shorts all the time and is always getting ketchup, chocolate, grease, you name it on them. Luckily they are light enough kacki that I can bleach them and they usually turn out OK, but try to do the above on the spot first. I've heard about that Tide stain stick that you can carry around in your purse, but have yet to get one. A friend had one and it got crayon off of kacki so I immediately put a mental note in the back of my mind to get one of those!!! CONGRATULATIONS on keeping your white shirt clean ALL day!!!! Even though I don't usually get stains, I would be even more hesitant to wear a white shirt in case this would be the day to spill mustard or spaghetti sauce all down the front of me!

Karen said...

I'm a huge fan of Greased Lightning. That stuff has gotten all but 2 or 3 stains out of Olivia's clothing--even the poopy, spit-uppy, food stained ones!

Matt & Nicki said...

I am a stain magnet when I wear white and Khaki, the other colors don't seem to attract the stains--I can totally relate to the "fear" of wearing white. . .
I use shout, and oxy clean . .. I hate stains on clothes so I tend to soak a lot of stuff and on white stuff I use bleach if I have too!

pamela s said...

Thanks to a great consignment shop near her, my mom has supplied the huge majority of my maternity clothes too! Well, I was washing a small load in cold, and washed a new red shirt (that I thought was already washed) which bled into EVERYTHING. Thanks to oxyclean, my clothes are not pink anymore. Unfortunately, it took a LOT of soaking. :)
I use the Spray N Wash for small things & the Tide Pen lives in my kitchen for the spaghetti sauce stains.
I guess it's obvious I'm always staining my clothes!

Kelly Glupker said...

I have seen that picture before, though not on a t-shirt. If I came across that shirt I would buy it for sure!

carissa said...

oh, I am so glad I'm not the only one to get stains on my clothes :) I just turned over a new leaf...(what does that saying mean exactly??)
Anyway, I buy my bleach pens and stain remover sticks REGULARLY! It has been improving all my kid's clothes....even stains that have gone thru the dryer!

Heather said...

I can not wear white for ANYTHING!! It doesn't take me long till I have at least something on it. So sad. Kevin always laughs at me when I put white on myself or either of the children. :)

Since I am not at home I can't be totally sure, but I use Kaboom, I think. It is in a purple spray bottle. I love it and I can get pretty much anything out with it!

I love your questions on your blog...they are always so interesting and helpful! ;)

Karis said...

I also seem to stain my shirts more often when I have a belly out there to catch stuff... I just noticed two shirts that came out of the dryer with one spot on them that I hadn't noticed so I hadn't treated them. Sigh... hopefully, they'll still come out. We use OxyClean which has seemed to work well for Kayla's shirts and now mine too...

Jenny said...

ZOUT! The gel, not the spray. I should buy stock in the company. I LOVE ZOUT!

Unknown said...

Wow, everyone. Thanks for all the comments! Many of these stain products I'd never heard of before and though I've been curious about trying that tide stain remover pen, I've never taken the plunge. Sounds like an experiment with a tide pen is in order!

Glad to hear I'm not the only stainer. :)

Kelly Glupker said...

Somebody gave me a tide pen to keep in my diaper bag. It works great! I am sure it's expensive though.