This past summer Matt attempted to give me one Chloe-free day a week. It was great to have a few hours to myself to sew, to work online, or to read in a quiet house. Of course, I also smiled inwardly at those Chloe-free mornings. I was still the one to wake with Chloe, feed her breakfast, and get her ready. Matt then took her somewhere for a few hours and then came home for lunch. And inevitably Matt would forget something and be back after they were already out the door. :) Not that I'm complaining, it just makes me grin to think of how much I do automatically that Matt isn't used to thinking about.
Does your hubby give you some kid-free time regularly? It's been very sweet to see the relationship between Chloe and her daddy blossoming. As she gets older, I'm going to totally push for them to have a weekly bonding time. Something special that is set aside just for them.
7 comments:
Michael loves to go to Lowes or on other errands with daddy:). Afterwards, my husband will often stop by Sonic and get him a strawberry milkshake. It's so cute to watch the two of them walking down the sidewalk to the car. I should get a picture sometime.
The thing that we haven't had in a very long time is a date night. We don't know anyone well enough to ask them to watch Michael. There have been offers but we're still not used to leaving him with anyone besides family. We'll have to get over that at some point and get out as a couple. :)
Rachel: I KNOW! We get date nights only when my mom comes to visit us or when I ask my closest pal to watch Chloe for special occasions (i.e our 5 yr. wedding anniversary). I'm wishing we could have more date nights too but I'm sure we couldn't afford the type of date I'm longing for. Movies and dinner out are so expensive these days! We'll have to settle for getting movies from the library and making popcorn at home. :)
Stephen takes Esther on 'errands' once a week and he watches her if I have to run out. Other than that, typically, we haven't been able to set up anything regularly, but it sounds good to me. I think it's great for both the dad and the momma!
We don't really have a regular daddy & kids time, but quite often Jim will take them down to the garage or outside to play around while he works on stuff, giving me some nice quiet time to get stuff done (or just relax) in the house--I love it! He also will keep them when I have to run to Walmart or the library in the evening. And sometimes he'll take one or both of them when he runs errands, too.
Another thing we have started doing as a sort of "tradition" is on their birthdays, Jim takes them off somewhere in the morning and then they go to McDonald's or someplace for lunch, while I get the birthday cake and the table all decorated. It's a lot easier for me to concentrate when the kiddos aren't under foot, plus it makes the cake and decorations a surprise for them, which is fun. :)
Sara loves her "daddy time", and he has always been very involved in the everyday stuff of the kids lives. . .I am learning how invaluable he is as his schedule now with full time work and seminary, does not allow for this as much anymore. We ALL miss having daddy around:)
WOW, does that sound nice! Sometimes on Saturday mornings Ron will take Aaron and go get a coffee from Starbucks while I cook breakfast. You're right, the quitness is a little weird, but so wonderful at the same time! Ron and Aaron are so close that they don't necessarily need a guys night out, although more time together wouldn't hurt! We usually like spending time with all of us together and so quiet times for me alone are kinda rare. Even more rare are date nights. Like you, we're too cheap to "hire" a babysitter. I don't think we'd know what to do if we went out to eat without Aaron! ;) That is so great that Matt and Chloe have daddy/daughter times! So sweet!
I think date nights are great! In Owen's three short weeks of life Ben gave me a free evening to nap. Of course it was only a few hours long because I am nursing him. It was really sweet of him but he brought him back an hour after feeding time and I couldn't get a hold of him and had no idea where they were. I was very concerned and not too happy! But you're right - they mean well. :)
Post a Comment