9.12.2007

Another grocery question


Many thanks to all who commented on my last grocery shopping question! It was extremely interesting to read your comments and to observe how many of you buy the same grocery staples as I.

Since so many of you listed "deli lunch meat" as a weekly staple, my little brain started pondering a new question. How many of you purchase nitrite/nitrate/antibiotic-free lunch meat? I used to, but soon found it to be too expensive. (And now that I'm in my second trimester, my strongest snack cravings have been for good old-fashioned salami and cheddar cheese. Guess this boy needs his protein and fat!) I mean, at $9 a pound, we just can't afford to buy the good natural stuff every week.

So, what do you opt for at the deli counter?

10 comments:

suzanne said...

we buy the nitrate free, but it is only like 4.99 lb. at the market by our house! I wouldn't pay $9 for it! Yikes!

Rachel said...

I do not generally purchase deli meat but if I do, I'll get the natural shaved turkey for my husband's lunch. Do you normally like salami? A few months ago, my hubby requested it for his lunches and I must say that he ate the entire package by himself. I am not a big fan of salami and was more than glad to sacrifice my portion:). I love cheddar cheese whether I'm pregnant or not. I was spoiled with the fantastic Cabot cheese from VT - yummy!
When I was in my second trimester, I craved shrimp cocktail. My hubby was more than happy to let me eat it all by myself as he strongly dislikes shrimp - o.k. - he hates it:).

S said...

deli meat isn't a staple at our home just because we get tired of it so easily, but i have been craving meat and cheese...so that makes me wonder if it's a boy or a girl?? anyways, maybe you could look into prices at a local coop or something or do you have a trader joe's nearby? i'm with you $9 is a bit expensive.

the johnson crew said...

we eat a lot of sandwiches in teh summer so we don't have to heat up the house. i love turkey, but jas likes ham, so we usually get both. i love swiss chease... especially the rainbow foods brand.

Jenny said...

Our Meijer slices a whole ham for free - any way we want it - so I buy a whole ham every once in awhile and have it shaved, then freeze it in one pound packets. I'm really excited for the Easter and post-Easter ham sales! :-) Actually, I cannot even find any natural lunch meat in our area. And my cheapskate self can't often justify $4/pound when I can easily get it for around $1.79. I do buy other varieties like turkey, hard salami, and roast beef when they are on sale to give my hubby a break.

Abby said...

I do admit to splurging and getting the "organic" deli meat (Boar's Head) and usually will get the turkey for me and the black forest ham for Vince. Occasionally I will get the roast beef too, but we don't eat sandwiches all that often, so it's few and far between that we get the deli meats.

Sara said...

Never home to eat lunch, so not much deli meat for us. I do get it for Josh, and I get the "good for you" stuff, but it is only about $6/ lb here. We don't get a lot, nor do we get it often, so it doesn't bother me too badly. I must admit though that I am not quite as thrifty as you and most of your readers. Healthy food is something worth splurging on in my opinion!

Sara said...

Just curious, do you like reg salami or hard salami? I LOVE hard salami, but I cannot touch the other stuff, so I am curious:)

Mrs.T said...

We don't buy deli meat every week; I will vary it with either egg salad, tuna salad, or a combination of the two, or other sandwich fillings I might concoct from leftover meat, etc.

When we do buy deli meat, it's usually whatever's on sale that week, usually ham or turkey breast.

ruth said...

We buy the regular stuff (I didn't even know you could get it nitrate free) If I can get there in time, I go to a meat specialty shop near our house because it's waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than what you can get at the supermarket. The only problem is that they close early in the day, and since I work until 5:30 at the earliest, I don't always make it home in time.