One of our annual tradition during Matt's folks' visit is to play a round of the game EuroRails. It's a very involved game and usually takes us 4-5 evenings to complete. We love it though! This year Matt convinced us all to increase the number of allowed moves per turn so that the game would move quicker. This time we finished it in only 3 nights!
And I'm happy to report that this year's champion is yours truly! I'm now the reigning Queen of the Rails. Matt's mom has won the past two summers and I've dethroned her. Female railway domination continues. :)
The funny thing about our EuroRails games is that we all end up helping Matt's mom because there are so many details to keep straight in order to play. I was her personal adviser this year and helped her with almost every move and strategy. She did much better this year and said she was tired of always winning. :)
We make such good memories together from these game nights. My side of the family does the same with Scrabble and Cribbage. What family games do you play together?
7 comments:
We have to twist a few arms to get the family to play games:). When we do play, we'll play Taboo, Uno, Pit and Dominoes. We do the typical kinds of games in addition to video games (the brothers-in-law). I personally despise video games unless it's Pac-Man or Tetris.
I am glad that you had such a great time playing EuroRails. I've never heard of it. I'll have to look it up.:)
Rachel: I'm warning you, EuroRails is a very fun game but it takes a big investment in time! And it's a bit intimidating reading through the instruction booklet. I'm not a video-gamer either though I used to love donkey kong and super mario. :)
We loved playing games as a family growing up, and it has continued to be a part of our times together. This last year at family get togethers, we've played a lot of Spades, Apples to Apples, Dutch Blitz, Flip 2 (speed version of Scrabble),and Settlers of Caton. We broke out a game my parents have probably owned for 20 years, but we never really played it this last Christmas -- Balderdash. It gave us lots of laughs. I don't know why we had never played it before.
I wish my family loved to play more games. It is so fun to do and it is always for sure to bring on laughs!!! What a good way to make memories!!!
So glad that you won and are the champion
This has been the year of Settlers of Catan. Ryan and I stayed up until 2 in the morning last night with my dad, making it through 3 more games, after playing one really long round with the whole clan. Sorry, that is probably one of the worst constructed sentences that I just wrote, but oh well. Anyway, we love games (and the memories they create)!
We are big gamers at this house. We love getting together with the mulders for game nights. We really like hand and foot a card game they taught us and we love speed scrabble or take 2 as some call it.
I just love playing games as well, but sadly my husband would rather play video games. We've played some together but I think he's too competetive and is scared to lose. My family always played games growing up. Pinochle, which I never really learned how to play, was always the grown-up's favorite. We also played Canasta, which I love, Pictionary, Taboo, Balderdash, Risk, and Dutch Blitz. I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, but we always had so much fun. Oh, the new favorite is Cribbage. I think just spending time as a family was maybe the funnest part. That's so great that your family likes to play games together! Maybe next year you can keep that crown! Maybe you should make a little crown to pass around just for that occassion! =)
Post a Comment