I found my perfect maternity swimsuit from the world of ebay. It's a plain (but modest) black suit that's made from fairly thick material. The best part is that I don't feel like a lumbering pregnant cow in this suit. It very discreetly covers my growing belly and upper thighs (YAY!). And it only cost $8.60 total - including shipping and handling. I heart ebay. What good-deal ebay purchases have you made lately?With my new suit raring to go, we purchased an annual membership for me and Chloe at the natatorium. It's a city-run gym, pool, and exercise facility. The huge pool is what drew me in. There are lap lanes, a big kid-friendly area, a current channel, and a fun-looking waterslide.
Yesterday I paid my dues and Chloe and I started right away. I let her play in their kiddie tree house, dropped her off at the nursery (it's free!), and then I headed to the pool for some laps. Whoa, I'd forgotten how hard it is to do continual swimming laps! After about 4 in a row my heart was racing and my face was flushed with exertion. I did a few backstroke laps to rest and then finished up for a total of 11 laps.
Then I fetched Chloe from the nursery and she came swimming with me in the kids' pool. My girl is so brave! She said, "I walk" right away and did not want to hold my hand. I think she would have kept right on walking into the deep end if I would have let her.
Overall, it was a fun and worthwhile experience but I have some learning to do about how to pack for a gym excursion. :) I'll leave it at that and not embarrass myself by divulging how many things I forgot.
Today I headed out again and did a few more laps. In the fall their exercise/swimming classes begin and I'm pumped about doing one of those. I'm thinking yoga or low-impact aerobics for me and a beginning swim class for Chloe.
What do you do to stay fit in the fall and winter? Do any of you workout at a gym? Any tips from gym-goers would be much appreciated!
6 comments:
I LOVE my Total Gym!! I really don't like public workout places all that much - just a personal thing. I used my Total Gym right up to the time I delivered my son, with modifications of course.
In VT, we would ski quite a bit during the winter months and do lots of walking during the nice weather. Skiing in TN isn't quite the same as up in VT - so we've heard.
Hopefully, the weather in the winter is mild in TN. I enjoy walking outside.
I am glad that you enjoy your swim time and have found something to work for you and Chloe. It sounds like she had a ball:).
The suit looks so nice! What brand is it? Awesome price, too!! Haven't bought a whole lot on ebay lately--although I have gotten some great deals there in the past! Actually, we did use some of our tax refund money to buy a Financial Peace University kit by Dave Ramsey on ebay. It was pricey, but I think it will be well worth it to teach us more about managing our money. And, it was a lot cheaper on ebay than on his website. :)
As for keeping fit . . . ummmm, I'm not very fit, LOL! That is an area I really need more self-discipline in!! I do enjoy walking, but not so much in the hot days of summer or the freezing days of winter. Which means I pretty much walk only in fall and spring. :) I do have a Pilates DVD that I enjoy, but I haven't done it for a while--I need to get back into it! I really do need to lose some weight and tone up, so I need to motivate myself to work on it. Your gym/pool facility sounds awesome!! I'm sure you will have lots of fun there through the fall and winter months.
I have the exact same swimsuit if its Motherhood brand. I got mine at a thrift shop when I was pregnant with Kayla, and the thing I like about it the most is the thigh coverage and also that it works through all stages of pregnancy so well.
We belong to the YMCA which also has child care included which makes it hard for me to find an excuse not to use the membership which is a good thing. It's monthly fees are income based so it's an incredible deal! I try to do the Walk Away the Pounds DVD five times a week (half an hour and I can follow it without sound so I follow it on our portable DVD player while I watch the news on TV which makes the time go by quickly) since I can do that at home, and now that we're back home except for weekends where I can go to the Y, I've been trying to swim two or three times a week. I just started that two weeks ago and like you had forgotten what a workout swimming was. I got that sick to my stomach feeling the first day because I overdid it (after just a few laps) so I've learned I have to do the back stroke or side stroke at least every other lap. I feel so light in water which I love!
It sounds like I should be in shape, but unfortunately, I'm not as I had a rough start with weight gain during morning sickness at the beginning of the pregnancy. That discouraged me because it was so hard for me to lose the last five pounds of the weight I gained when I was pregnant with Kayla -- in fact, I never did to the point where it stayed off. So, I've been more determined this time to work at exercising during the pregnancy now that we're home because being on the road for those six weeks in a row and even now on weekends (eating yummy food people graciously make us and also eating out) has been a challenge this time around. I can definitely tell a difference in my body since I've been working out consistently this last month so that keeps me going with it. Or maybe it's lugging a 30 pound child around that has helped me feel like I'm getting a good workout each day. :-)
I've never bought anything on Ebay except for Little People for Kayla. We have really good thrift shops here so it's usually better for me to spend gas going to those than paying shipping. Wow -- this has turned into a really long comment.
I was working out at the Y while I was training for the Indy Mini Marathon. My only tip is kinda silly. I hate that whole fatal eye contact thing so I would wear my glasses & then take them off while I was running. Then I couldn't see anything (including the display on the treadmill which kept me from watching it too closely). I kind of like the gym/y membership thing; it really motivates you to work out & the weather is always right. But I also love being outside to run/walk/bike & I have to admit that I really enjoy the occasional work out dvd or vhs. I check them out from the public library (you can get a real variety from tae bo to belly dancing). :-) Have a great weekend!
Great find!!! That's an adorable suit too! You are so dedicated to get a gym membership and exercise! As far as exercise goes I'm really bad at sticking to anything. I'll get myself all hyped up and talked into starting a program or something and then when it comes down to it, something distracts me and it never seems to get done. I've got some exercise videos that I try to do every once in a while and I like to try to walk when it's not so beastly hot, but that about covers it, aside from chasing a two year old around all the time! Your gym situation sounds WONDERFUL! There is something kind of like that where I used to live in Wyoming, but not really anything like that around here, probably because people go to the beach to swim, or have their own swimming pool. Sounds like you are going to get your money's worth out of that place, especially since Chloe likes the water so much!
Way to go, Alicia! I was actually just planning on starting to use the pool at the seminary the day I got put on bedrest. I heard the water helps with the swelling. I am sure being active throughout the winter months will make you feel great!
Post a Comment