So far I'm not complaining about the first trimester with baby #2. It's been great though I've been extraordinarily tired and hungry. Thankfully though, I have the luxury of taking an afternoon nap with Chloe most days. Yeehaw for being a stay-at-home mommy!
Lately I've noticed my first real nausea-creating aversions. Yesterday I made a huge pot of 15 bean and ham soup and I was really excited about eating such a protein-packed entree for dinner. Well, I sit the soup mug down in front of me and I just about got sick. The smell, color, and look of the soup was making me nauseated. Instead I ate lots of fresh veggies and a few rolls for supper.
Aversion #2 is a smelling one. We hang our used towels up in our bathroom when we finish showering. Not a big deal, I'm sure most of you do that. That way our towels air dry and we can use them a few times before we wash them. Yesterday I pulled one of these "used" towels over to dry myself and the aroma of wet towel turned my tummy and started me to gagging! I noticed the same thing this morning as I went to wipe off the kitchen counter with a dishrag. The wetness smell lingering on the dishrag sent me into gagging fits.
Here's a fun question for the pregos out there: What smells or foods are turning your tummies these days? Or if you aren't pregnant now, what strange aversions did you have in the first trimester of a past pregnancy?
9 comments:
Hi Alicia,
When I found out I was pregnant, I went to the store and bought lots of broccoli, peppers, salad fixings and eggs (for hard-cooked eggs). The next day, I could not STAND any of these foods. I was trying so hard to stock up on the super-foods. Regular tap water (finally bought a filter system), skim milk, oyster crackers and yogurt grossed me out too. I never vomited until my 2nd trimester but I am blaming that on the cold that I had coupled with my incredibly sensitive gag reflex.
I hope that wasn't too graphic for your sensitive tummy. I like all of those things again:). BTW - I LOVED pizza, mexican food and cold cereal. I learned the hard way that I needed to be drinking lots of water and eating my fiber. My poor digestive system:(.
I can't really say that any smells have bothered me, which is interesting because I have a great nose and pick up every scent.
Wow, I couldn't have even asked the question during my first trimester (and 6 weeks beyond). I remember trying to look up tips on the internet for dealing with "morning" sickness and not being able to read it as thinking of the food made me nauseated. I couldn't even clue Ryan in as to if anything sounded ok because I would be sick before the conversation was concluded. Pretty crazy I know! I did eat quite a bit of cereal and with this pregnancy, grapefruit, which I know sounds odd. Also, just as a side note, I finally figured out at the end of my sickness stage that taking high doses of B6 vitamin was quite helpful. Wish I would have known that with baby #1! =)
When I was pregnant the smell of grocery stores & subway (stale lettuce smell) were way too much for me. I ended up buying some kleenex and holding it up to my nose while I was in the store.
I could not stand the looks of raw chicken when I was pregnant with Sara and never really wanted to eat it, even if I didn't prepare it--prior to being pregnant it was a staple food for me!!
Also, I used to wear the cucumber melon spray from bath and body, but that turned my stomach as well when I was pregnant with Sara. . .to this day, I still don't like that smell, but I do eat chicken:)
I never had morning sickness. Mine was always from 4:30 in the afternoon till after midnight. I remember calling Kevin from work one day and telling him that i thought i was finally over the sickness thing...i was 14 weeks...so that night i came up to the back door to walk in the house and i got a smell of him cooking something...I hadn't cooked in weeks because of always being so sick. He thought it would be so nice to cook me a wonderful meal of pork chops (gag) and veggies because i felt so good...needless to say he ate all of it and i stayed on the coach.
For the first 3 months the only thing i could keep down in the evening was a plain baked potatoe from Wendy's.
Hand in there...
At 16 weeks, I'm still working on this morning sickness thing. I figured that the better night's sleep I get, the less nauseated I am in the morning. Just last week, I was able to eat a bagel before 11:30 am!
My aversions are/were sweets such as chocolate. Vanilla is my love right now. I love saltiness. I've bought more chips in the last 3 months than I have the 4 years we've been married.
I only got sick when something triggered my (still) extremely sensitive gag reflux. Brushing my teeth in the morning & pulling on a shirt too tight across my neck did it for me.
It's hard to remember any aversions to food while I was pregnant. I remember I craved pulled-pork sandwiches, which I didn't really care for before then, and starches like pasta and potatoes. I do remember that the smell of coconut or pina collada (like suntan lotion) made me wrinkle my nose. I only had like one day of nausea, which was actually mild. I praise the Lord over and over for the great pregnancy I had! I keep thinking that since the first was so good that the second is going to be terrible. Guess we'll see when that happens! Hang in there and keep those clean towels coming! =) Hopefully this doesn't last your entire pregnancy! You'll be going through the laundry soap like crazy!!!
Not much made me sick, but I did have a few weird things. I couldn't drink water for the first trimester unless it had something in it - mint, lemon, anything! I also couldn't use toothpaste for the entire pregnancy! Fear not, I still brushed - frequently - but something about the toothpaste set me off! I had to use listerine before and after brushing instead!!!
Post a Comment