6.08.2007

Strawberry Ice, Ice Baby

One of our cool treats in the summer time is homemade fruit ice. I got this super easy recipe from a parent's mag last summer and it's a keeper! You don't have to use strawberries (though that's my favorite); use anything you have handy. The only trick is the fruit MUST be frozen. You can just use bagged frozen fruit or cut up your own fruit and then freeze it yourself.

We've only done the strawberry and watermelon ice. If you try any of the other fruit flavors, let me know how they turn out.

Enjoy!


Fruit Ices

1/2 cup each, sugar and water
2 Tbs. lemon juice
Fruit of your choice (see options below)

1. If you're not using bagged frozen fruit, freeze chopped fresh fruit on a plastic cutting board or a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. (I like to use a piece of waxed paper on the baking sheet and spray that with cooking spray - makes for easier clean up).
2. In a small saucepan, bring sugar and water to a boil, then boil until sugar is dissolved. Let cool; stir in lemon juice. Place frozen fruit in food processor and puree while slowly adding sugar syrup.
3. Transfer to container or ice-pop molds and freeze, or eat soft. (You don't have to use popsicle molds, we just use a tupperware container and it works fine).

Fruit:
5 cups strawberries (or one 20 oz. bag of frozen berries)
3 cups sliced peaches (or one 10 oz. bag of frozen slices)
2 cups blueberries (or one 16 oz. bag frozen berries), plus 1 large banana
4 cups diced watermelon
1 cored fresh pineapple (in the container, core removed)
4 cups seedless green grapes
4 cups diced cantaloupe
4 cups diced honeydew

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Looks yummy and healthy! I like that the ratio of fruit is so much greater than the sugar. I will definitely be trying this one. I just bought popsicle molds about a month ago and have been making fruit juice pops for Michael. I dislike all of the unnatural stuff that is put into store bought popsicles, so I make my own. The Strawberry Ice recipe will be going in my 3 ring binder - definitely a keeper:). Thanks!

Karis said...

I could go for one right now! I will have to try that once we get back home in July. Thanks for the recipe.

Jenny said...

sounds yummy. ever tried eating frozen grapes all by themselves? It's a great way to "save" the ones that are mushy. When they're frozen, you can't tell! :-)

Kelly Glupker said...

Can you use a blender instead of a food processor? Oh wait, I think my blender is in storage.

Becky said...

Hey--You, without a doubt, have one of the most interesting blogs I've ever seen! I love reading it. (And this idea is a fantastic one.) Hey--can I ask a favor? I would really like to send Beth a card; would you mind emailing me her address? My email is beckthom@charter.net. I used to have Matt's address, but, alas, I cannot find it anywhere. Grr. Thanks so much, Alicia.

carissa said...

awesome treat! I wonder if you could substitute honey for sugar or splenda for the kids --- only if you wanted to eliminate sugars??? However, I just gave my kids a large lollipop today to keep them quiet and happy, so I don't know if I'd substitute or not :) ha....
How are you feeling? I hope you're doing well. I think of you so often.