6.25.2007

A memorable experience

[Warning: this is a long story, but I promise it will be worth the reading!]
Last week when my mom treated me to a day in Chicago, we also attended a newish musical, "Spelling Bee". It's about six very different, very oddball kids competing in their county spelling bee.

So, we arrived at the theater lobby a bit early and were admiring the decorations which made me feel as though I had walked into a middle school hallway. Amidst posters and pictures, there were two desks with a sign above reading "Think you can spell? Sign up here!". I assumed this was a part of the lobby ambiance. But we soon discovered it was for real. So, my mom and I headed over to the table and I filled out a questionnaire with a worker. According to the theater worker who questioned me, they would choose 4 different audience members to go on stage for the performance to spell with the actors! 20 minutes before curtain time, they announced the 4 specially chosen folks - and my name was not called. Bummer. But, the last fellow whose name was called didn't show so they called the next name on their list - ME!

After some private prepping (in which we were told we HAD to ask for a definition and use in a sentence for each word we were given - regardless of whether we knew the word or not), I returned to my seat next to my mom all a flutter with nervous excitement. About 5 minutes into the show, the female teacher who was moderating the bee asked for the four spellers who hadn't yet signed in to come to the front (that was our cue). We received official numbers and pins and then we took our seats amongst the actors on the onstage bleachers.

The musical proceeded and the acting and singing went on all around us! In the midst of all of this, spellers were called up to the microphone at the front of the stage to spell words - audience members right in the mix with the actors. The first audience member (a very nice older lady) was knocked out on the word pakapu and as she left the stage, she was comforted by the "comfort counselor" (a big black man who gave out juice boxes and hugs to disqualified spellers).

The next two audience members had reasonable words (jihad and Mexicans) so I wasn't sure what to expect when my name was called. I got the word cow. Yes, that's right COW! Needless-to-say, I felt like a complete dolt (especially when asking for a definition and sentence!). The moment went something like this . . . .

Vice-principal: "Miss Horn"
Teacher: "Miss Horn would like to thank her Aunt Lena and Uncle French for their support."
Vice-principal: "Miss Horn, your word is cow."
Me: "Cow? Could I have a definition please?"
Vice-principal: (exasperated) "The definition is a COW."
Me: "Would you use that in a sentence please?"
Vice-principal: (even more exasperated) "Please spell cow."

The audience laughed hysterically and I spelled cow correctly!

After more words, songs, and dances in which the actors moved us along (like cows) and whispered to us what to do, it was my turn to spell again. My next word was gremial. I spelled it correctly though I hadn't ever heard of it before. It means a cloth placed on a bishop's lap while he gives mass.

More singing and dancing takes place. By this time the other two audience members have both been eliminated.

I get called up again, this time my word is katerjoons (meaning unknown but coming from the old english). I spelled katerjoons right by merely guessing based on its origin. I was pumped! I go back to sit in my spot on the bleachers when the vice-principal calls me up again. Ok, I'm thinking, that's weird because they never call the same person twice in a row. Something fishy is going on here . . .

My next word was xerophilous (meaning growing in or adapting to dry, hot regions). You probably won't believe me, but I really did spell that crazy word correctly too! I was on a spelling roll! I walked back to my seat grinning widely and with spelling adrenaline coursing through me.

Imagine my surprise when the vp called me up yet again! Three words in a row?!? C'mon, now! Then it hit me: they need to get me off stage so they can go on with the show. They're TRYING to eliminate me! But I wasn't going down without a fight.

The next word the vp hit me with was the ridiculous word lysergicaciddiethylamide. That's when my spelling adrenaline disappeared. I was completely floored so I stuttered, "Um, l-i (ding)" That little ding (signifying my misspelling) was such a relief!

I collected my juice box, a hug, and a song from the intimidating-looking comfort counselor and walked back to my seat. As I left the stage, I heard the actors singing "goodbye, goodbye!" to me. They seemed a bit loud. I turned around and saw they were following me offstage and to my seat! They came right up to my chair and surrounded me (one actress sat on my mom's lap) and serenaded me with goodbyes.

Whew! As the show continued, I felt very glad to be in my seat where NO ONE was looking at me. We laughed all the way home retelling the words and funny instances of the show. The cutest part was when we were leaving the show, a few little girls came up to me and told me what a good job I did. That was the cutest!

Thanks for enduring this uber-long post for my silly story. I thought it would be appropriate to post now as tomorrow evening I'm enrolled in our library's adult spelling bee. Hopefully my spelling adrenaline will come to my aid!

19 comments:

heatherlyn11 said...

i can't wait to hear about the next one, and I hope that it is as exciting!! how fun that must have been to be on stage!!!!!!!
heather

Jenny said...

What a great story! I would have loved to see it!! (what does that crazy word mean? I now must look it up...)

Heather said...

I read your entire story and can totally picture you up on stage spelling away!!! How fun was that???

Karen said...

WOW, what a great idea! That must have been so much fun. Keep us posted on your "real" spelling bee, okay?

christina said...

oh, that's great! as soon as you gave the basic idea i thought, "they never guessed they'd get such a good speller on stage. it will take them forever to get rid of her." :~)too fun!

S said...

I am impressed with those words you could spell. I would've been out after cow! Too bad you can't get a video of that experience!

suzanne said...

What a great story! Be sure to let us know how you do at the Library!

Kelly Glupker said...

Too funny! You are such a good speller, I'm jealous. It cracks me up that you participate in adult spelling bees. I don't know anyone else who does that. I think it's great! You were made for Matt. :)

Rachel said...

How awesome! What a "once in a lifetime" experience. I'll bet that your mom was so proud of you:).

Shannon Smith said...

What a fun story! Thanks for sharing!! Sounds like a fun show to watch and participate in.

Kelli said...

What an awesome experience! You are quite the speller. What a fun story to tell.

Unknown said...

Whoa, thanks everyone for taking the time to read my silly story! It was fun and an experience I'll never forget. It was even more fun to see how much my mom got a kick out of the whole thing! Hopefully I'll have good news to report on tonight's library bee. I'm so motivated to win because the winner gets as gift certificate to a restaurant. We're usually way too cheap to go to real restaurants (subway is about the only place we go out to eat) so a gift card would be a huge treat!

Thanks again everyone for all the positive comments!

pamela s said...

That sounds like so much fun. I'm so glad that you got to participate. I'm sure it added to the show when they couldn't get you out. With this practice, I'm sure you'll be great at the library!

Matt & Nicki said...

Alicia, That is hillarious--(Did I spell that right). . .You are such a smarty pants:) Matt and I love spelling bee's and found your story quite interesting--very funny--What a memory to share!! Good luck in your REAL spelling bee--and remember your a "STAR"

Janelle said...

That truly is pretty funny. Really, what are the odds that the name before you didn't show? Must have been meant to be! What a fun story to be able to tell Chloe and number 2! Must have been all those lists of words you didn't know as you read through books! Can't wait to hear the results of the library bee!

Jen said...

You crack me up - to spell well even under pressure of a broadway show - amazing! That is an awesome memory!

Tracy said...

That sounds like a blast. All your games of scrabble got you some showtime! Seriously, I can't spell if my life depended on it, but I would have loved to see you up there.

Carrie said...

What an awesome experience!! I loved reading this post--the way you described it all was almost as good as being there. :) And I am totally blown away by your spelling abilities! I loved spelling bees in elementary school, but I don't think I would do too well with the kind of words they were giving you in the musical (other than "cow" of course, LOL!). :) Can't wait to hear how you did at the library bee!

Abby said...

So fun! i've heard that they do that during the show. I haven't seen it, but have the soundtrack and love it. What a fun time!