6.27.2007

The bee that got away

Many thanks to all of you for your positive comments on my spelling chances at our library bee last night. I feel as though I've let you down. I hate to break this to you all, but I didn't win the bee last night. But I could have won the bee, unfortunately, to state it in my hubby's words, I was totally shafted. All because of the picture at left. Let me explain . . .

This year's library bee had only 11 participants and I thought my odds of winning were pretty good. Here's where the shafting comes in. The library guy who organizes the bee is an odd character named Rex. He's an older guy who has an unassuming and awkward way about him. In order to make the bee "more fun" he announced that he wasn't going to just use regular words in this year's bee. He thought it would be interesting to use proper names of musicians, movies, celebrities, countries, and cities in the bee.

Boy, did my heart sink when I heard that he was going to ask us to spell musicians' names. We don't watch TV (with the exception of an occasional Elmo's World or PGA tournament) so I'd be a total loss in that category.

So, the musician category came to my turn and I was given the name Rudy Vallee to spell. Looks like an easy enough name to spell, but I had never ever seen this guy's name in print. Sure, I've heard of Rudy Vallee and had the vague idea he was a crooner a long time ago but I was clueless as to how to spell his name. I guessed and guessed wrong. I spelled his name V-a-l-l-i-e and was eliminated.

The funny thing was that I knew how to spell every single word given at the bee! Grrrr. Another fishy thing was that the older gentleman who won the bee actually misspelled two different words on his first tries. But Rex wasn't paying very close attention and he asked him to repeat his spelling and the gent spelled the words correctly on his second attempts.

Oh well, Matt says next year's my year to take it all. And I'm truly glad this older fellow won, he was so pleased and proud looking when we all clapped for him. I felt much better about my spelling loss after Matt treated me to a Marx brother's movie night (A Night in Casablanca - hilarious!) along with some yummy buttery popcorn.

12 comments:

Karen said...

MAN! That stinks! Be assured that we, your faithful readers, were rooting for you.

Janelle said...

Yea, I agree with you that it wasn't very fair. Like Matt said, next year! Good for you for even attempting it!

Tracy said...

I'm glad you are able to have such a positive air about losing. Special nights with JA always make me feel better about whatever happened during the day too.

Was Chloe there to cheer you on? I bet she was excited for you!

Matt & Nicki said...

We are still your biggest fans Alicia!! Matt and I are so competitive, I don't know that I could have been happy for the old man--ESPECIALLY knowing he spelled two words wrong--you are a much better sport than I would be:)

Unknown said...

Karen: Thanks! I hated to having to report my loss to my faithful blogger fans!

Janelle: Thanks, dear. Maybe next year!

Tracy: I didn't have the best attitude at first. I was kind of in shock. And yes, Chloe was there to cheer for me. She said "Go, mommy!" and was full of hugs for me afterwards. That made me forget the pain of losing!

Nicki: Yeah, I wasn't too happy for the old cheater at first. But in the big scheme of things it's not a big deal I guess. I'll let him win this year, but next year he's going down. I'm showing NO MERCY! :)

heatherlyn11 said...

we all know who the real winner is. TOTALLY shafted!!!
I have been wondering about you all day...did she win?? did she win?? did she get the gift card???
heather:0)

Heather said...

So sorry that you didn't get to win! I would have thought you would have taken it all...you are such a good speller...NEXT YEAR!!!

carissa said...

way to go AL! You are so intelligent :) I love that you've been in spelling bees recently! I was in one in the 7th grade and still brag about that one :) Thanks for the updates ont Beth and Charis too! God is so good to us. I hope you're feeling well too.

Katie said...

That's pretty goofy that the winner actually misspelled words. Did other people notice too? That's kinda funny. Sorry you didn't win. I actually watched the very end of the national spelling bee that was on several weeks ago, and then I happened to notice a clip the following morning of the winner with a newslady. It was hilarious. The poor kid was so awkward & socially inept, the interviewer was having a difficult time having a normal conversation with him. I'm sure you would be a MUCH better interveiwee! (By the way, I don't think that's the correct spelling.)

the johnson crew said...

oh that is a sad, yet cute story. i can just imagine it. so cute.

Rachel said...

I am sorry about your loss. At least you kept a sweet spirit about it. Maybe next year...

Mary Ann said...

Alicia -
I am way behind in congratulating you for taking part in your bee! I totally thought you would clean their clocks, but I was worried you would have 'Pregnancy Brain'. That's my sister's term for the absentmindedness that would sometimes kick in on her while she was pregnant.
Anyways...great job to you & next year I'm sure will be all yours!