This morning we arrived at church a few minutes late and the songs were already starting. We filed into a row and I found myself smack dab behind a huge 6 foot tall man. The song was a Fernando Ortega version of "How Firm a Foundation". The song ended and I was just about to whisper that to Matt when the piano player (who I couldn't see because of the tall man obstruction) introduced the next song. I craned my neck to see him because he sounded EXACTLY like Fernando Ortega. And it WAS Fernando Ortega!?!!??!! I couldn't believe it! He's like a mini-celebrity to me. I have several of his cds and really enjoy his worshipful music. And there he was, sitting there playing and singing and worshipping with all of us. He sang several beautiful songs from his newest cd. He played and sang accompanied by an talented and tender string quartet. The music was so beautiful and heart-felt it made me shiver. He sings in person just like on his cds - sincerely, passionately, and professionally.I drove back for the evening service (we don't usually do evening church because it's a 45 minute drive one-way for us) by myself so I could hear Sr. Ortega again. What a kick to sing "I will sing of my Redeemer" as a congregation while he led and played the piano!
I guess this is a perk of being a part of such a big ole church. Thank you for the special blessing, God! How was your Lord's Day?
14 comments:
Matt and I LOVE Fernando!! I have to go back and read the rest of your post--i only got as far as him being at the church and I had to comment!! Matt just got me his new c.d for my birthday.
By the way, what church do you go to? What an awesome treat!
Nicki: Did you get the cd that just came out on Tuesday? The one with the string quartet? I'm itching to buy it! Matt says we'll get it for Christmas.
We attend Parkside Church. It's non-denominational but very baptist-like. It's a long drive for us but after visiting countless churches in our city and surrounding area that preached shallow-ly (not sure if that is a word!) we think the drive is worth it! Our pastor is Alistair Begg. He preaches on the radio too - his program is called "Truth for Life". Have you heard of him? He's got an easily distinguishable scottish accent as he's from Edinborough.
We had Bebo Norman and Aaron Schust last week at the church we are visiting. I didn't know who they were, but apparently they are well known. :) There are certainly benefits to going to a larger church!
Kelly: Bebo Norman I've heard of but not the Aaron guy. Did you enjoy their music? I hear Bebo Norman on the radio all the time!
I think it's called Hymns and Meditations--yes it came out on tuesday but matt pre-ordered it for my birthday and got a really good deal. I don't think I have heard of your Pastor, but Matt probably has-I will have to ask him.
I love Fernando Ortega also. My favorite is "Give Me Jesus". I have heard of Alistair Begg and love his preaching. I can see why you drive 45 minutes!! We drive 45 min to church also to help a small church plant. It's a sacrifice, but so worth it.
YOU GO TO ALISTAIR BEGG'S CHURCH? I know I am over reacting, but I really like him! My husband has a bunch of his sermons that we have listened to in the car. He's great!
matt just came home and I read him all about your blog--when he saw the name of your pastor he said, "Oh, Alistair Begg--he's a good Pastor!"
I myself have heard about some scottish pastor and the infamous accent but never knew the name. Anyway, We are jealous of your Fernando "visit":)
Nicki: I REALLY want that new cd of Fernando's! Some of the songs he sang Sunday were from that cd - I especially liked "grace and peace". So beautiful!!!! I've told Matt point blank that I'd like it as a Christmas gift!
Shannon: What cd is "give me Jesus" on? I've heard it on the radio before - excellent song! We agree, it's completey worth it to us to drive 45 minutes to church!
Kelly: I know, he's an amazing preacher (God gets the credit for that, not him)! We feel enriched, encouraged, and are seeing the beauty of the gospel in new ways every Sunday. Though he's well-known, he's a very humble preacher and down to earth. And very funny too. :) The church is rather huge though so we haven't found our niche there yet.
Alicia- The album is actually called "Give Me Jesus". I think it might be on another one also. We were discovering them from his website.
i really like fernando ortega. i enjoy listening to his hymns when i have migrains... i just lay on my bed and listen to the music and think about Christ instead of my headache and then i am able to relax. that is really cool alicia!
I wish I would have been with you!! I love his music. I'm singing "I will sing of my Redeemer" in my head since you shared that. Praise God for that suprise!!
As I began reading your post I was impressed by the Fernando Ortega part, but then as I continued reading I was (like Kelly) much more impressed that you attend Alistair Begg's church. I've listened to several of his sermons on tape with my Bible Study group, and they were so challenging! My friend Rich attends art school near there and goes to that church, but you may not have met him since it is such a large church.
Post a Comment