7.10.2006

Question: How do you spell nerd? Answer: A-l-i-c-i-a

I know that lately it's kind of kitschy and cool to be considered a nerd. Let me assure you that I am not a nerd so I can be cool. In fact, my sister would strongly avow that I am not cool at all. I am a true nerd. A nerd through and through. Here's my proof:

* While I wash dishes I listen to an audio lecture series about the crusades
* My favorite school subject was (and still is) math
* I know all sorts of strange, useless facts about obscure topics like entymology and etymology
* My favorite board game is scrabble

That's all I can think of off the top of my nerdy head. The current reason why I'm convinced I'm a nerd is that I'm involved in an adult spelling bee held at our library this evening. Yes, I'm going to spell in an attempt to win a gift certificate and reclaim my 8th grade city of West Bend championship status. Are you laughing out loud yet? Me, a 28 year old mother and wife will be spelling words like cinnamon, millennium, and bellwether in an actual spelling bee.

Know what is even worse? I made my own spelling word list to study from. I looked at several websites listing the most commony misspelled words (misspell being one of them) and compiled my own list, alphabetized it and printed it in nice neat columns. Here are a few words from my list; see how well you can spell!

accommodate
anoint (I ALWAYS thought this word had 2 ns!)
camouflage
chauvinism
desiccate
embarrassment
fahrenheit
imitate
irascible
liaison
maintenance (since 5th grade I still get tripped up on this word)
misogyny
onomatopoeia (eek! that's a crazy one)
parallel
privilege
puerile
recommend
sacrilegious
separate
tableau
ukulele

Check back tomorrow; I'll be sure to post about how the spelling went! (I can tell you all are biting your nails with anticipation.)

8 comments:

Jen said...

Good for you! (I wouldn't make it past the first word.) It keeps the competitive (sp?) spirit alive :)

Heather said...

I am so bad at spelling and am no better now that I use spell check ALL the time!!

Good for you and have a great time...can't wait to hear how you do!

carissa said...

oh I can hardly wait to find out how you do!! I was totally laughing out loud. Thanks for the nerd humor. You're great :)

christina said...

you're too much, alicia! that was so funny! hey, at least you can spell...if drawing pictures were socially acceptable i'd be in like flin! i wish i could see you reclaim your title...if i left now i bet i could make it, but alas, nathan has the car....fight hard! or at least spell well!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the encouraging comments, gals! The bummer about tonight is that Matt has to teach so he won't be there to cheer me on. Hopefully Chloe won't get too fussy or my spelling concentration might be distracted.

Kelly Glupker said...

I DID laugh out loud! Good for you Alicia, I think it is wise to keep your mind sharp. FYI I have always messed up on spelling the word privilege.

Troy & Sherry said...

you made me laugh out loud - we watched some of the national spelling bee and i must admit i made fun! :) however my hubby (a little bit of a nerd at times)loved it - he is very smart - however i am not :)

Kelli said...

Hope the spelling bee went well! I went to the National Spelling Bee down in Texas when I was in 6th grade! Spelling bees are near and dear to my heart! Hope you beat them all!!