I sure wish I hadn't posted about the spelling bee yesterday - now I've done gone and lost and disappointed my blogging cheerleaders!
Here's the story, as is my usual modus operandi in spelling bees I studied difficult words (I had onomatopoeia down cold) and got tripped up on a easy one. When I went to the state spelling bee in 8th grade, my nemesis word was the easy-peasy "mallet". Last night at the library spelling bee my downfall occurred on the word "hippopotamus". Matt had to work last night so I had to take Chloe with me to the bee which was more than a little distracting during my hippopotamus meltdown. I had taken her out of the stroller and was holding her to spell. She had decided to arch her back and hang around upside down while I bungled hippopotamus (I spelled it hippopotamaus). Needless to say, I was distracted and Chloe was the belle of the bee. Everyone loved her cute fat cheeks and antics.
I really should have won that dang spelling bee. I knew all the words after I was eliminated. Ah well, better luck next summer! The library is making the adult spelling bee an annual summer event.
What words usually trip you up, spelling-wise?
8 comments:
you are soo hilarious! I am dying laughing when I should be napping !
I was in the spelling bee in the 8th grade too. I missed the word "emminent or imminent or I don't even know how to spell it." Probably the first way :) I can just picture Chloe doing that to you...sooo funny.
all those simple "i before e" words (especially receive and receipt) get me...even though I know the rules. Especially when I am typing; it must be my fingers have thier own idea of how to spell!!! Thank goodness for spell check!
That's great! I was dying laughing picturing Chloe holding her head upside down. I can definetly relate. I was the 5th grade Spelling bee champ, then the next year I got hung up on business.
Better luck next year. My senior year of high school, I messed up on Millennium...The saddest part was it was the year 2000 so that word was EVERYWHERE! How sad...
You are so funny, Alicia! You can definitely blame Chloe for your inability to concentrate! Better luck next year...
What a trooper! I couldn't imagine wrestling a little one and trying to concentrate. Good for you for working through it. I cannot spell definetely or definetly or definitly - yeah I still don't know.
well in around the world i always missed a word very quickly so i could sit down :)yah i know sad!
You're amazing! Do you think they would have accepted an abbreviation? Hippo is so much easier! I'm sure you'll win next year!
In a high school bee I got out on ukulele.
Post a Comment