7.17.2006

Our new stray cat

If any of you know my husband outside the classroom then you know he's an animal lover. Cats are his favorite. His last cat, Rocky, had been with him since his NBBC days and it was heartbreaking when he parted with his orange tabby shortly before our marriage.

Last week when a stray black cat lingered on our porch for some attention, Matt was thrilled! And although I've always said (like Ben Stiller's character in Meet the Parents) I was more of a dog person than a cat person, this stray cat has wiggled into my heart. I love it that she rubs her body around my ankles to solicit some pets. She's a very affectionate animal. It's also fun to watch Chloe get excited about the cat and try, in her violent way, to pet her.

Tonight we bought food and plastic bowls, and named her so she is now officially ours. We've made the commitment to take care of her. We've dubbed her "Cleo" so she can match our C-named offspring theme.

Do you have any pets? If so, how did they steal your heart?

11 comments:

Kelli said...

Yeah, you have a black cat too! Ours was also a stray (sort of - she was actually the Belford's...long story!) I hope she is as affection as our Phoebe is. I am sure it is fun to see Chloe with her new buddy Cleo. Post some pictures when you get a chance!

Tricia said...

One of our dogs, Annie, was found at our church when I drove in to work one day (back in Indy before Ian was born). She looked absolutely terrible and was so tiny. I contacted a shelter that I knew wouldn't euthanize her, but they asked if I could "foster" her for a couple of weeks as they were filled up. Needless to say, she stole my heart and I stole Ryan's heart so he let me keep her. =) We're very thankful to have her, as the two dogs give each other good company. I hope you enjoy your little kitty!

Katie said...

I hope your cat named Cleo has a better temperment than my in-law's cat named Cleo - the cat from hell! :) She had some trauma when she was a kitten, but is slowly become nicer. Fortunately, she seems to rather like Luke and me - otherwise I'd be worried for our safety!

I love pets - more dogs than cats, but I like a good, calm cat that likes to snuggle. We haven't had any pets of our own yet, and probably won't for several years (unless we get a goldfish while in Scotland or something). I would love to have a dog for Lukie, but for now we can't really afford another mouth to feed, and Lukie's enough to handle! :)

Unknown said...

Kelli: It is fun to watch Chloe interact with Cleo. Though now that we've named the cat we realize how similar Chloe and Cleo's names are. We found ourselves mixing them up! I just went out to the porch to get some pictures but Cleo was not very cooperative. :(

Tricia: Aw, that is a precious story about Annie. What a difference you've made in her life! What is your other dog's name?

KT: Your mil has a cat named Cleo?!? here I thought we were being creative with her name . . . our Cleo is very laidback and even endures Chloe's efforts to pull her tail. I agree that children should have pets. You should see Chloe's face light up when she sees our new cat!

Karen said...

Not a cat fan, but I may turn into one if my little girl loves a cat someday! :) It's surprising to find a man who likes cats! Good luck!

Karen said...

by the way... GREAT slide show!

Jen said...

Great! Matt needed another pet to fill his life after Rocky. What happened to him again, I can't remember?

Unknown said...

Karen: I know, I was not a cat fan either until Cleo stepped foot on our porch. Now I'm a changed woman!

Jen: Matt had to let Rocky free into the wild country of MI since Rocky was going bonkers in his studio apt. in Milwaukee. Did you ever see his tiny studio?

Bequita17 said...

al - what time zone are you in? i was about to call you at 10:30pm EST, but then realized since you weren't in WI you might be on east coast time too & didn't know if that was too late now that you're a married woman & mommy :) anyway, i was thinking about you tonight! I won't be home tomorrow night, but can try to call you Thu if you're going to be around.
Hope to catch you soon! Bex

Jen said...

Never saw the studio, I always saw Matt at Jerermiah & Trinity's house, but I remember them saying how tiny it was. I bet it makes him appreciate your house now all the more.

carissa said...

Well,I just want you to know that we did have 2 cats (a gray one and a black one..the black one 'mary' got shot with a bee bee from a northland neighbor of ours :) and Heston found it and told Kelli he found a wounded cat. They renamed her 'phoebe' and we found out weeks later :)
We like our cat--SeeSaw--Emma named her when she was 2 :)
I'm cat-sitting my parents black and white cat 'Bob' for the next 2 yrs. here while dad finishes his schooling. That was a long comment. Sorry! :)