7.03.2006

My thumb isn't very green















I had such high hopes for my garden. Unfortunately, the only thing that I've harvested so far are these few little pea pods. I had also planted spinach, eggplant, zucchini, and squash into our hard rocky soil. Being the cheap skates that we are, we didn't invest in any special soil, compost, or insecticides. So, the spinach leaves have all been ravaged by insects and the zucchini is still trying to grow. The pea pods tasted delicious . . . let's hope they will yield a few more pods for us this summer.















Our other gardening feat has been to plant climbing roses around the perimeter of our sad grass-less backyard. The 6 rose bushes are planted right next to our wire fence and we have visions of them spreading and weaving points of color to brighten up our icky backyard. These roses are the first we've cut - aren't they gorgeous?

What gardening have you done this summer? Any tips to make my thumb a bit greener?

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Beautiful Roses! I don't have a garden this year; Heston said we can try next somewhere once our yard is landscaped. All I really want to plant is a salsa garden so I can make fresh salsa all summer long!

Jenny said...

well, you could always make your own compost :-) All your plate scrapings and leftovers and banana peels and coffee grounds make for a nice rich soil! Put it all together and mix it with some dirt, then let it sit until it's nice and ripe! (at least you'll have great compost for next year!)

Unknown said...

Kelli: Yum, salsa . . you're making me hungry! I'd love to have my own herb garden but we'll have to wait until next summer.

Jenny: I know, I've thought about that but I don't think Matt would be too hip to the idea. Plus we have loads of squirrels and rabbits that would get into it. Maybe I can work on Matt for a compost pile next summer. Do you have one?

carissa said...

Gorgeous flowers and nice baby peapods :) I just planted sunflower seeds with Emma and her friend 2 wks ago. We see 2 of the 12 seeds sprouting...I don't have a green thumb either. I need to remember to water them. That's emma's job this summer, I just forget to remind her.

Jenny said...

Nope, no compost pile for me - this year, not even a garden! :-( We planted our veggies in pots on our patio last year and used WalMart brand Miracle Grow every once in awhile. It ended up being worth the extra $. Someday when I have a huge garden and lots of "kid slave labor" to work it, I will teach them about the wonders of compost [insert evil laugh here]