3.03.2006

Reading to children

Kelly Genn asked for kid's book suggestions in a recent post. I gave her my suggestions but I'd like to hear yours also. Some of our favorites are:

* Guess How Much I Love You
* The Very Lonely Firefly
* La Oruga Muy Hambrienta (The Very Hungry Caterpillar)
* Runaway Bunny
* Animal Talk
* Oso Pardo, Oso Pardo, Que Ves Ahi (Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?)

I must note that I highly recommend Eric Carle books. His illustrations are colorful and creative. And he teaches things in his book by integrating them into his stories. For example, in "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" he writes using numbers, days of the week and foods as he describes what the caterpillar eats. "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?" is a great one for teaching colors and animals.

I am amazed at how bright little babies are! I've been reading to Chloe since she was about 2 months old and now that she's 6.5 months she can turn pages (with my help) and looks at the pictures as I read. That might not seem like a big deal but it's an improvement for her! She used to just grab the books and eat them . . . . she still likes to gnaw on our books so we only read board books for now.

I've also read that repetition is the key to helping babies develop their language skills. So we read "Guess How Much I Love You" every night before bed (I have it memorized). Anything you've read or seen in your experiences with reading to babies?

What are your favorite children's books? And, do you have any good suggestions for Christians children's books?

5 comments:

Shyla said...

http://www.harvesthousepublishers.com/books_giftbook.cfm?productID=6904271

God's Wisdom for Little Girls: Virtues and Fun from Proberbs 31

I LOVE THIS BOOK!
I bought it before I knew we were pregnant. It is a BEAUTIFUL book and it is beautifully done. You should check it out ( i attached a link above, but I don't know if it will come through on the comment. Also, there is one for little boys as well.
It has been a great buy and I don't even have kiddies yet! Chloe will love the illustrations. It is definitely a book that helps you "train up your child".

Unknown said...

Thanks a million Shyla! I'll see if I can find this used to save some money.

pamela s said...

Alicia,
I don't have a particular book in mind, but if you need sources, there's always ebay! I just typed "children book lot" and came up with quite a few hits. Growing up, we had a ton of Dr. Seuss books and Golden Books. For Chloe at her age, the board books will be the best, but if you see good books at good prices for an older age, grab them! Thrift stores usually have quite a few books also with great prices. I know friends of ours have Bible story board books which are very cute, so they are out there, you just have to hunt. :)

S said...

Alicia-
Thanks to Children's literature...I could recommend a few. :) I'm sure you already know this, but any that have the 'Caldecot' medal on them. For those of you who missed out on Children's lit..these are picture books that won medals for their pics and stories. Anyways, I wouldn't endorse them all, but you could look some up from your local library. I love going online to our library and reserving books and then then ship it to the location nearest me, and all I have to do is pick it up...they have lots of selection on books, and recent movies too (so we don't have to rent them!) I think I've diverged from the topic, but anyways, I'm really interested in good Christian books for our children, it seems like we're lacking in that area!

Jenny said...

I loved LOVED the Happy Ending books by Jane Carruth when I was a little girl. They are cute little stories!! One in particular called "Tiggy Goes to the Hospital" was my all time favorite. Mom read it to me so many times that I could "read" the whole thing to her when I was 2 or 3. This is such a fun series, but unfortunately, out of print. I've found a bunch of titles online, but if you ever see them at garage sales or what have you, they're definitely worth the expenditure!!!