3.19.2006

Pajama Project: Parte Uno

I have been on a hunt for new pjs for Chloe for the last month. She's growing too fast for me to keep up! Now that she's wearing 12-18 months I've discovered there is a great dearth of pajamas in that age bracket. I'd like her to have footed pjs so that her wittle toesies don't get chilly. (Forgive the baby talk slip. I do spend most of my time with a 7 month old.) So, overly ambitious me bought a pattern and some flannel material and embarked on my first ever sewing-from-a-pattern project. For some reason I was never interested in sewing growing up so I missed out on lessons from my sewing matriarchs. My grandma used to sew professionally for a high-end children's store, my mom and my sister both sewed their own wedding dresses (my sis without a pattern - I've posted a few pictures of her gorgeous gown below), and even my mother in-law is an expert seamstress. So, now I'm on my own trying to figure out words like "slip stitch" and staring at the pattern diagrams wondering where my notches should have been .

My goodness this is a lot of work! Why in the world don't these companies have the pattern pieces cut out for you in the first place? I was all excited to get started and then spent a laborious hour cutting out pieces of flimsy paper. Then came the pinning of the pattern on to the material. After studying the diagram and the various keys, I managed to miss a bootie. Thankfully I had plenty of material to spare! Next, I cut out the pinned pieces carefully - not realizing until half way through that I was supposed to cut notches where the triangles appeared. Boy, that is one lesson I learned the hard way. Notches are your friends. Long story shorter, this evening I finally got through step 10 and the (nearly) final product is in the picture below. I have yet to attach the booties, zipper and elastic in wrists. It's been a rough ride but I am VERY proud of what I've done thus far. And I love my seam ripper. Any commiserating sewing stories of your own?





















Now that the fabled pjs are almost complete I've realized this material looks a tad clowny. Oh well!























A good full-length view of Shauna's wedding gown. Here they were exchanging vows.






















Close-up of the beaded bodice of Shauna's dress. The cake was delicious and topped with my grandma & grandpa's 50 year old cake topper.

















An 8 month pregnant me with my bridely little sister. Isn't she beautiful? (Thought you pregos out there would appreciate the bulging belly picture)

28 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow Alicia, from cloth diapers to sewing your own pajamas...that is amazing. I'm afraid that I won't blissfully follow you down the sewing path...not up my alley. I had to sew pajamas in home ec. class in high school...they were absolutely atrocious and took me FOREVER. I'm sure that it would take me 5 days to accomplish what you have done so far. However, I must say that I only get the boys pajamas when they're $1.97 at Old Navy and then stock up.
That is amazing about your sister's wedding dress...you both look quite lovely!
Good luck with the pajamas..it sounds like sewing is in your genes so you should be ok! =)
Tricia

S said...

Stephen always teases me because I have 2 or 3 unfinished sewing projects in my closet. Although, I haven't attempted to sew for myself in a while...I am doing good to do pillows for the home, curtains, etc. I LOVE to go to fabric stores, pick out material, thread, etc..just hate the follow-through. And I hear you about cutting out the patterns - Pain in the neck! If I had a big table and good scissors like the ladies at the material store, it might go better. I think I'll cop out and stick to the Old Navy deals like Tricia when it comes to Esther's pj's. :)

Jenny said...

You sure picked a hard first project! I'm really proud of you! I, too, never was much interested in learning how to sew when the opportunity was ripe (like age 8) My sewing started right before I left for Northland and for some reason couldn't find any long wool skirts (!?!?) to keep me warm! Out of desperation comes practical creativity, I guess. And somehow, sewing keeps finding me.

Hey, think of all the other stuff you will be able to sew that is TONS easier! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Tricia: Not really too amazing, really. I just have like no friends here, lots of time on my hands and virtually no money. We only have 1 car so I don't get out much for bargain shopping. Every time I go to old navy I seem to miss the peak sale times. :(

Shannon: I am the same - I love wandering around joann's and looking at sale material. I like to try to imagine the material as a dress, pjs, curtains . . . I have done some curtains too. How do you do pillows? I'm assuming you just measure it out and sew the edges? I have some semi-stained pillows I'd like to cover someday.

Unknown said...

Jenny: I know, after I got home and started this craziness I realized that the pattern didn't have the word "easy" anywhere!!!!!! Yikes! While out fabric shopping with hannah scott (nee ormiston) this past week I also picked up a dress pattern for Chloe. I'm hoping to make her a one of a kind easter dress. :) It even has netting underneath! I found some terrific material for $1 a yard and I made certain the pattern said easy. In fact it is labeled as VERY EASY. I'll post a picture if I get it done and it looks decent. Wow, a wool skirt? Did you even have a pattern? I always loved your togs at nbbc. I wish you were around so I could borrow some. :) Great idea to have girls sign your clothes out - I lost more than a few things at nbbc due to frivolous lending.

Kelli said...

I don't think I ever met you, but I met your husband a few times while hanging out at Jeremiah and Trinity Hindman's apartment while they were still at Northland. Your husband probably knows my brother, Bryce Clingerman.
Anyways, I have peeked at your blog a few times and thought I would "introduce" myself! Your daughter is such a cutie! Good work on the PJ's! I have attempted to sew clothing, but no such luck! I can manage pillows, though!
Good luck!

Heather said...

You are so brave Alicia and made me think that maybe I could attempt an EASY Easter dress for Victoria! I will let you know that outcome.

I too wish I would have paid attention when my mom was trying to teach me to sew. She is a great seamstress. My sister and I were always in matching dresses and she has been the one to keep all of our houses looking so wonderful with curtains!

I will let you know how it all turns out…if I attempt it!

Jenny said...

Alicia,
Watch out for the sleeves--always my least favorite part. I have a GREAT way to put in zippers that's kinda cheating, but gets the job done. If you get fed up, let me know!

Unknown said...

Kelli: Thanks for e-introducing yourself! I'll ask my hubby if he remembers you. Jer and Trin are great friends of ours. They actually were the ones who introduced us to each other. They had no idea that the Lord would bring us together though. My hubby and I are such opposites that we were all surprised! :) I remember your bro Bryce. He was at a Hindman Thanksgiving one year in Beaver Dam and I met him. Nice guy. What is he up to? You guys are up at nbbc? How do you like it? are you an nbbc alum? Sorry for all the questions, I'll visit your blog for more info.

Unknown said...

Heather: Best wishes with an Easter dress! My pattern for Chloe's Easter dress says "VERY EASY" so I'm encouraged. :) I just cut out the dress stuff today and it has a total of 4 pieces! Yeehaw! I shouldn't have too much trouble with 4 lousy pieces but we'll see. :) I'll post pictures if/when I accomplish that. Sometimes I'm afraid I'm too brave - tackling too many projects and then losing my zeal and dumping them. I hope this sewing buzz stays with me!

Unknown said...

Jenny: Sleeves are mostly done, I just have to put elastic in one more wristband. I unfortunately bought the wrong size zipper so the zipper putting-in will have to be last. I hope I have a zipper foot somewhere!

Kelli said...

Alicia-
I grew up with Trinity. I haven't seen them for years, but Bryce keeps up with them. When you see them, tell them I said hi!
Bryce is working in CO as a super intendent or something for a construction company. He also is in the market of buying houses, fixing them up, and then selling/renting them. He is finishing up flight school in the next year or so. 9/11 kind of threw off his plans for flight school for a while. But all in all he is doing well!
I know your brother in law and his family. Beth taught my spanish when I was a student here! I have to say that Chloe resembles Ashton!
Take care and nice to "meet" you!

Unknown said...

Kelli: You grew up with Trinity Labriola! What a pearl that sweet girl is. I wish we lived closer to them. Our hearts are knit with theirs in matters of theology and family.

Oh man, you think Chloe looks like Ashton?!? I think Ashton is a Sam lookalike, poor thing. :) Just joking, Ashton is a cutie but I hope she doesn't retain her daddy looking tendencies. Beth is the kindest lady ever. Please say hello to them for me if you get a chance. They're only up on Tuesdays now, right? You probably know better than I do. They are so incredibly busy we don't hear from them much.

Sharon said...

Alicia! I actually do remember you! I was excited to hear from you. Do you remember getting fake nails at my sister's wedding?? That was sooo long ago.
Sarah is actually expecting her 4th in late september. Timmy my brother is expecting his first at the end of July. He is super excited about it, especially since it is going to be a boy!
I don't know about the whole getting married thing this year, but the Lord knows. We shall see what God has in store for this year. For now, I am enjoying the freedom of singlehood!

christina said...

alicia,
you have become one popular lady! well done on the pj's!! they are really cute. i am so UN-domestic it's ridiculous. so kudos to you on your sewing. my mom and sister are excellent seamstresses, so i am fortunate to have them nearby. my mom did all of my curtains, and my sister did fabulous things for my niece. she actually recovered a lounger chair WITH NO PATTERN! she just kept trying until it fit. so i say keep up the good work, girl! besides it will definitely keep you busy since you are carless. :-) have fun!
christina

Unknown said...

Sharon: How could I forget having fake plastic nails glued to my fingertips?!? That was my first and LAST experience with fake nails. I had to dash off to be a camp counselor at nbbc after that and I had to bite off those crazy nails so that I could function normally. :) Sarah and I have been keeping in touch via email so I know about her 4th kiddo. I'm praying with her everything goes smoothly! How do you like teaching 5th grade? Just a joke about the getting married when you're 24 thing. Singlehood (or however you say the state of being single) is a blessed and amazingly fun time! Enjoy it!

Unknown said...

Christina: I know, I think this is my record biggest number of comments on a post! We'll see how these pjs go. I didn't feel too motivated to finish them today and just put in the elastic on the wristbands. The footie part is already looking ominously difficult. She recovered a chair without a pattern??!? Now that's talent!

Kelli said...

Alicia-
Did I strike a nerve saying that Chloe looks like Ashton? =) I think it is so funny how much RD resembles Beth and how Ashton resembles her father! I am sure she will grow out of daddy looking tendencies...I will say hello to them when I see them on Tuesdays! We visited their church in Milwaukee last summer. The Lord led them to a wonderful ministry!
Yes, I grew up with Trinity Labriola! She was one of the older girls that I always looked up to and still do! Neat family and it is awesome to see what the Lord did in her life!

pamela s said...

Alicia,
You must have more patience than I do. Needles, thread & I do not get along at all. I'll get so frustrated and throw it down. :) I'll stick with crochet.
So, far, they look adorable. I'm sure the Easter dress will come together especially since you gave yourself enough time. Who kows? Maybe you could start your own business! Keep up the great work.
Pam

Sharon said...

Alicia, teaching is going wonderfully. I only have one "thorn in the flesh" student if you will. I love the students and the whole experience. I knew you were just kidding about the 24 and getting married thing. It's just funny because 3 other people mentioned it to me on the same day. Last night I actually looked at some old pictures from Sarah's wedding. . . it brought back a lot of memories:o)

S said...

Alicia - In case you read this (beyond the 20 comments :) About the pillows, I have bought a pattern in the past, but Carrie Valentine recommended buying napkins on sale from Pier 1 or Target, etc. and then just sewing the edges. Then you don't have the hassle of cutting them out, etc. And for the inserts, I don't buy them from the material store, I just buy discounted pillows wherever there on discount. The inserts at our fabric store are always around $10 and by then you could've bought it for that price! I like to change the covers every once in a while for variety.

Jenny said...

Alicia,
Shannon's right about the napkins working great, and if you buy the kind with the "cutout" borders, you can even "sew" them together with ribbons (weaving through the cutouts). I've bought 25 cent pillows at yard sales that were too ugly for words and re-covered them. Bring on the sunshine and the yard sales!!!

Unknown said...

Kelli: Um, yes, you totally struck my Ashton nerve. :) She's a sweet little gal but it's uncanny how much she resembles Sam. Our Chloe is a Matt look-a-like (right now anyways). I hope she doesn't grow to have the Horn nose though . . .

Unknown said...

Pamela: I am running out of patience on these crazy pjs! I spent about an hour and a half working on the dumb footies and now that I have 3 steps left and I'm going, "huh?!?". I have no idea what they mean by leg casing . . . anyways, I (wisely) put the project down for the night and I think I'll finish them up the way I think they should go instead of following the directions. Hope I'm not going down a bad road here by forsaking the directions. I'll post again when they're all finito! Crocheting, eh? Great hobby! You should post a pic of something you've done! I'd love to learn that someday.

Unknown said...

Sharon: I had SEVERAL thorn in the flesh type students during my first year of teaching. Actually during every year of teaching I've had students who tried my patience and who God used to prepare me for my new role as mommy. I don't want to even think about Chloe as a junior higher .. . AH! too late, I just thought about it! :) Sarah's wedding was a blast. I was such a free spirit back then. aFter her wedding I went to NJ with Becki Adams and then NYC and boston. My mom is a model of patience. I would have had a coronary if my daughter decided to prance about the east coast without telling me. Ah well, let's hope those experiences weren't to prepare me for a wild child. :) Keep plugging away at the teaching ministry. It's an honorable and valuable trade. When is your spring break?

Unknown said...

Shannon: Yup, I'm still reading these here comments. This is totally my record at most comments! Great tip on the napkin thing! We use cloth napkins too and I've sewn cloth napkins so it probably wouldn't be too hard to just sew up the pillow material. Although storemade napkins would be better quality than my sewing I'm sure. What a terrific way to bring something new and cheap into your decorating. I sure get tired of our old furniture and decor!

Unknown said...

Jenny: Love yard sales, love ribbon, love it, love it, love it. I'm afraid you lost me on the sewing-with-ribbons thing through the cut out borders though. I think I can visualize it; you should post a picture of it para mi. I'm getting loopy, must be off to bed. thanks for the sewing wisdom dear.

Karen said...

I'm impressed by your "lack of sewing talent," Alicia! Looks to me like you've created a really cute set of PJs! My mom used to make darling little matching outfits when I was little; I tried making a skirt when I was in college, but it ended up being about a size 2. I would much rather spend a little more time digging through clearance racks and garage sales than doing all that work myself! :)