
We are back from a wonderful mini-vacation with Ben & Diane's family in Novi, Michigan. We all stayed at a hotel together and enjoyed the small pool and hot tub. Though the visit was extremely short, it was refreshing to see them. And the diversion helped our time without Matt to go by quickly.
Thursday afternoon we arrived at the hotel just as Ben & Diane's family was returning from a shopping trip. We immediately hit the pool and Chloe splashed around in her adorable new swimming suit. Chloe took very well to the lukewarm pool water and Zach, Ahna and Paige delighted in sneaking up on Chloe and winning her smile. Next we were off to dinner at a neat Irish pub and more shopping.
The troop had to leave us on Friday as Ben had to get back for work on Saturday morning. After breakfast Chloe and I hit the road for Troy in search of the famous somerset mall. We got a bit turned around after going the wrong direction on Big Beaver Road and didn't pull into the humongous covered parking lot until 10:30. The extra driving proved advantageous as it helped Chloe take a good long morning nap. We were impressed by the enormity of the mall and all the expensive stores. We truly got our exercise exploring the 5 floors of shopping and skywalk. What affleunce we enjoy in America! The rest of Friday afternoon we spent relaxing back in our hotel. While Chloe napped I soaked in the hot tub and leisurely read the paper.
Saturday we were off early to hit the outlet mall in Monroe, MI. Unfortunately, it didn't open until 10 and since we arrived at 9 we drove into the small downtown. We stumbled across a Lutheran church's sale of used kid's clothing and found a few bargains. Then we walked the nearly deserted downtown perusing a bookstore and then settling in at a coffee shop for Chloe's second breakfast. The outlet mall only boasted a few stores but the Carter's outlet was worth the trip. We found pajamas finally! And for only $5 a pair I couldn't resist getting Chloe 4 pairs. Then we hit the Gap outlet where I found lots of treasures for Chloe but resisted buying anything for her. More hours of driving followed and when we finally picked Matt up from the Cleveland airport we were all weary and ready for home.
Here are some photos of our quick trip:

Getting everyone to look at the camera was a difficult task for the photographer.

Our little chubtart didn't seem to like floating on her back.

Chloe and I show off our swimsuits.

Drying off after the swimming venture.

Diane hoped this picture would be "blog-worthy". Little Grace got to taste lemon for the first time from Diane's water glass. At first she made horrible faces and then she wanted more!

Zach holds Chloe for me so that I can eat some of my dinner.

Chloe really took to her Uncle Ben. I'm convinced she thought he looked like her daddy. The hat especially intrigued her.

Back in the hotel lobby, Chloe and Grace get to know each other. Grace is almost 13 months old now and very small for her age; that explains why Chloe is bigger than her older cousin!

Grace was very interested in Chloe. I guess she was cleaning out Chloe's nose for her in this shot.

Chloe seemed oblivious to Grace until the end of this photo shoot when she suddenly put her arm on Grace's back. It was the cutest moment!
10 comments:
Cute pictures there, Alicia. I kinda know the area you are talking about. I think Tom and i have eaten on Big Beaver Road at Bahama Breeze. And i think that i've been to the big mall with nordstroms and all the expensive stores once. Sounds like you guys had a fun time just getting away and relaxing. Glad everyone's home safely and that you found some great deals too.
Chloe looks like she really enjoyed swimming! Alicia, I really can not believe how big she is! Sitting on that couch she looks like such a big girl!!! It really is nice to get away from it all sometimes, isn't? Especially when your husband is away. It makes time go by so much faster!
What a fun weekend it looked to be! You were in my in-law's backyard! They live in Woodhaven and go to church in Monroe (about 20 min. away). Monroe is a cute little town; my m-i-l was just at that Carter's outlet last week. I'm looking forward to going. You MUST come visit me after we move to Detroit (and Luke and I will gladly accept an invitation to come to OH! :)
Amanda: Thanks! I think Chloe's a cutie pie even though she doesn't often smile for pictures. That mall was amazing! Sitting down for lunch in the food court I just observed people walking by - lots of moms - and reeled at the affluence of our society. It was fun to window shop too.
Heather: I KNOW, seeing Chloe next to her cousin showed me (again) how big she's getting! She's growing up so stinking fast. Everyone tells me (and told me while I was pregnant) how fast this would go but I didn't believe them. Totally relaxing to get away from our home's four walls. Even though it was a ton of work to get everything packed that we would need for the short trip, it was worth it for the change of scenery.
KT: I'm there. Invitation to visit you accepted. :) You're welcome to come down here anytime. It's about a 3.5 hour drive though and there's not much exciting in the entire state of Ohio. Monroe was a cute place. Too bad there's not much to do in the downtown though. I was also a little disappointed in the outlet mall but the carter's store made up for it all!
Alicia- cute pics. Was that Chloe's first time 'swimming'? Looks like she really enjoyed the water. We had some friends of ours down here and their son hated water (and the beach). I prefer the pool myself for swimming. I'll probably be a nervous wreck the first time I take her in the water.
Oh, Shannon. Don't be a nervous wreck. You're not going to drop her, are you? :) Don't be one of THOSE moms now. :)
Alicia-
Looks like you had a wonderful time and very cute pictures! Glad you had a nice weekend away! I bet you're glad to be back together as a family!
Shannon: Yup, that was Chloe's first ever "swimming" experience. I was a tad bit fearful but had no reason to be. As soon as we got in the water I realized we both would be fine. It was great fun!
Kelli: Yes, we are so very happy to be home again as a family of 3. Matt has spring break this week so we're enjoying the extra time together.
Yep..I'm turning into 'one of those moms'. Stephen's sister didn't take my nephew swimming until..well I wonder if he's ever been at 4? I know NEVER in his first year. We'll just have to get those little swimmer diapers! :) Actually, I want her to learn to swim at a young age. Stephen's dad was good about teaching them all while they were young.
sounds like you had fun. somerset is very pricey! that's probably why we only window shop there. :-) have fun in NYC!
Post a Comment