2.27.2006

Mommy moment

I meant to post this last week but never got around to it. Wednesdays are our long days as Matt is at school from 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. I usually try to plan something special for Chloe and I to do together but it's tough since we are car-less. Last Wednesday seemed especially long and I ran out of energy about 7 p.m. and just vegged with Chloe watching the news on TV. When I put her to bed I always do the same routine - I read to her "Guess How Much I Love You" and then sing a few songs while rocking. I sang and she cuddled up to me, bonked her big head (it hurt a little) onto my chest and sighed a contented "Aahhh". It was so sweet! I just hugged her and cried and realized what a precious thing it is to be a mom. [The picture above is not from last Wednesday evening but during our pre-nap or pre-bedtime rocking.]

Any mommy moments you'd like to share? Isn't it amazing and blessed to be a mom?!?

8 comments:

Heather said...

Alicia,

I love special mommy moments like that! I always feel so pulled because of working fulltime!! Victoria has NEVER been my cuddle bug, but Logan on the other hand, loves to cuddle up to me. Each night before his bed time, I take just a few minutes to snuggle and relax with him. He loves to get as close as he can to me! I love those moments. For Victoria we have changed things up for her a little bit. She gets to stay up a little bit later with mommy and daddy. That is the time that she will sit with us and just talk to us about the day. We then go over her verses for "Kids 4 Truth" and pray with her! This time is becomng so special for me. At her age she is such a little sponge and I enjoy teaching her these verses that one day wil be such a vital part of her life!

Heather

S said...

I can relate to the long days when your husband is at school or work because that's where we are right now too. I don't know if you're big in to babywise, but one thing my friend and I were talking about the other day (that they don't necessarily advocate), is sometimes you just want to rock your baby. I know what they're trying to say about making sure your baby can put themselves to sleep, but after that's established, it's so fun to rock them (probably more for me than her). :) I have fond memories of being rocked even when I was 4 or 5 with my great-grandma. The way I see it is they grow up so fast, and once more kids come along they'll be less time for rocking! Anyways, she has just learned to smile in response to us talking to her, not just on random, and it is so special and I thank God for her.

Katie said...

The older Luke gets, the sweeter those mommy moments become. I remember one time when I was crying - a hurtful situation that will remain unnamed. Luke started wimpering too and came up to my face and started brushing the hair out of my eyes. Then he gave me a Luke Hug - these are the sweetest of all hugs on earth. He puts his arms around your neck and pats you repeatedly on the back.

Another mommy moment that made me tear up was watching him walk down the aisle during my brother-in-law's wedding last October. He was only 15 months and was all decked out - tuxedo, shiny shoes, flower on his lapel. I was nervous about how he'd do and wondered if he'd walk down the aisle or would be overwhelmed by all the people. He walked down that aisle so perfectly. And just standing there at the front (I was in the wedding also.) seeing him as everyone else was at that moment, I just felt so blessed and grateful that he was MINE and I was HIS mommy.

Unknown said...

Heather:
Wow, sounds like you have rewarding moments with both of your kiddos. Isn't it funny how your kids are their very own persons? I know we have lots of influence over our children but, as in Chloe's case, their personality is their own. Chloe is SO VERY laidback and serious while I am a bouncing off the walls enthusiastic type. How cool to be able to share your faith with your daughter - I am ansy for Chloe to grow and be able to talk and understand me.

Alicia

Unknown said...

Shannon:

Yes, I read babywise while pregnant with Chloe and now that I'm a mom I don't think it's tactics are for us. I am of the opinion that you should read your baby's clues and put her down to sleep when she's ready not by the clock. I digress, Chloe does fall asleep on her own (and I worked hard on that with her!) but I just rock her when she's sleepy to help settle her down. I agree, rock rock rock away while we have these little ones! It's such a sweet intimate time . . . I wouldn't give it up for anything.

How fun that Esther is smiling now on purpose! How old is she? About 9 weeks or so? You'll have to post some pictures of her smile now you know. :)

Alicia

Unknown said...

KT:

Awwwwwww, your story about Luke hugging you made me tear up! What a sweet little guy you have! I absolutely can not wait for Chloe to grow a little more so she can talk to me, hug me, and interact more. Wow, he was a ringbearer at 15 months?! I've seen children much older than that do horribly in weddings.

Alicia

Tricia said...

Alicia,

My favorite mommy moments are in the morning when we sleep in and the boys both wake up and come in our bed. I just love all the squealing, laughing and wrestling that goes on (usually I end up with a foot to the face or something like that) but it's such special times. I would not give up these moments of snuggling with them for the world. I know sometimes it's difficult but almost every older woman I have ever met has given me the parenting advise..."Enjoy it now, because they grow up so fast." I try to take that to heart as much as possible.

Bequita17 said...

Hey Al - I love all the pictures - Especially the bathtime one with the little curl right on top of her head. Glad you're enjoying being a mommy. Love, BEX