11.23.2009

A fun and easy Thanksgiving project

With Thanksgiving literally around the corner now, we embarked on an easy peasy thankfulness-themed project last week.

I fell in LOVE with this burlap placemat project linked on craftzine's blog and then adapted it slightly to suit our tastes. Pretty much it's a cut rectangle of burlap (no sewing necessary) and it uses a homemade freezer paper stencil to create an image for the kids to paint in the center.

Since we've been talking about and trying to exercise a thankful heart in our home lately (i.e. the cure for whininess) this placemat project was perfect. Around the edges I wrote a reminder verse with a sharpie (it's Psalm 107:1 if you're wondering).

Then I made a stencil out of freezer paper. I'm totally in awe of and in crafting-love with freezer paper. It was incredibly easy and worked super well. Next we got out some paints and sponges and Chloe and Clive dabbed away. (It's seriously an easy enough project for even a little toddler guy like Clive to participate in). Check out the step-by-step tutorial here.

Though the production was fun and easy the BEST part of this placemat project has been practicing thankfulness with Chloe. Every time we eat a meal, Chloe whips out the placemat and before she chows down she tells us something she's thankful for. At first she didn't quite get it. She'd just look around the room and spurt out whatever her gaze fell upon. But now that we've been doing this for several days it's beginning to resonate with her.

And her thankfulness is contagious! Matt and I usually join in and share something we're thankful for too. It's a splendid way to start out a meal.

Now if only I could get her to tote her placemat around to remind her to be thankful in our everyday situations. Like when her brother wants to color with her crayons, when she has to change out of her princess dress and put real clothes on, or just whenever she doesn't get her way. I'm guessing that will be a lifelong lesson. This mommy needs that thankful reminder throughout the day too!

What special Thanksgiving crafts or traditions do you employ to practice thankfulness?

2 comments:

Karen said...

What a super idea!

But just where would one fine a burlap sack?

Unknown said...

Karen: I found burlap on an after-halloween clearance rack at a local craft store. You can also buy it by the yard at a fabric store.