11.08.2009

Christmas photo and free cards

No, the picture at left is NOT our 2009 Horn family Christmas photo. It didn't make the cut for obvious reasons.

We usually get the kids' photo taken at a cheapy-cheap portrait place and slide a copy in with each Christmas card we send out. Then I hand-write a quick 2-3 sentence note in each card.

I know that sounds laborious (and believe me, it is when we're talking about 50+ cards) but Christmas correspondence is the only way we connect with extended family and friends. Many of Matt's aunts, uncles, and cousins I've never even met but we've formed a relationship through Christmas cards. There are older ladies in my extended family too that enjoy receiving our cards and pictures each year.

Knowing the immensity of the holiday card project, I had already unpacked my Christmas box and taken out the cards and stationery for this year. (I always buy the next year's stuff during the previous year's after Christmas clearance sales.) I've already crafted a general address list and bought return address labels (check out the swell deal on these at VistaPrint).

To my elated surprise, I came across this deal advertised by Freebies 4 Mom for FREE Christmas photo cards. ABSOLUTELY FREE including shipping!!! Heather, the author of Freebies 4 Mom, will post the free coupon code sometime on Monday.

In anticipation of the free photo card deal, I dressed everyone in coordinating red and green this morning for church. If we're going to get gussied up for a photo shoot, might as well do it when we're already getting dressed up!

Are we the only crazy family that goes through this process of card writing and sending? How many cards/letters do you send out ? Do you opt for a letter or traditional card?

3 comments:

Abby said...

I used to make the cards every year (80+ cards) starting in October and include a picture we took at home. Once Eli came around, I had no time to make every card and sign every one, so we opted to go and get our pictures done, and do the whole photo Christmas card. It's so much easier to just print up the address labels, get the return address labels from Vistaprint every year (I do the caricature labels - so fun!) and be done with it! SOOOOO much easier!

Mary Ann said...

I'm with you, Alicia. I've never done a picture to put with the card, but I've done a letter & I've done just the simple note in each card. I enjoy it so much (laborious though it may be) b/c it focuses my thoughts on that person or family & just what they mean to me & my family. I was the same way about the thank you notes for our wedding. A huge project, but one that I loved.

christina said...

i love sending christmas pictures... and receiving them. the past two years i haven't sent any b/c of budget cuts, but i'm hoping to cash in on that sweet deal you linked up. :) thanks!