Today started out slowly for me. I was weary and unmotivated. (I'd blame my thyroiditis but it could very well have just been that I'm weary from chasing after two kids. I don't know HOW moms of more than two do it!)After coloring with the kids awhile this morning, I loaded Clive up in the stroller and we all took a walk. The Vitamin-D filled sunshine always helps lift my mood. We had a nice walk to the drug store and then we stopped at Dairy Queen to share an ice cream cone between the three of us. On the way home we even snagged a kid-sized plastic table someone had left curb-side. I'm sure we were quite a sight to see. Me struggling to carry the table while pushing Clive's stroller and Chloe walking beside us with a new-found walking stick about 5 feet tall. :)
We then had a simple lunch and I tried out a new blackberry smoothie recipe. Clive went crazy on his smoothie and resorted to chugging it instead of using his spoon. He's such a cute and messy eater! Chloe ate her smoothie a bit more slowly and I warned her sternly NOT to let Clive get a hold of her cup. He's snatchy and quick when it comes to grabbing what he wants. I'm not usually a huge stickler about keeping clean at the lunch table but this particular smoothie was blackberry heavy and a VERY dark purple.
While they finished up their lunches, I ran upstairs to use the bathroom (am I the only mom who completely neglects her own bladder until it's an emergency?) and was gone for a few minutes. Suddenly I heard Chloe's panic-filled voice calling for me as she raced up the steps.
When I came down I discovered the reason for her panic. Chloe had left the table to play and Clive reached her smoothie cup and DUMPED it all over the carpet below. I sat down on the floor and cried. It was one of those moments that struck a raw nerve. I cried for awhile and scolded Chloe angrily. Poor girl. I apologized to her later and spent some extra-snuggly time with her tonight. I'm so thankful little kids are such quick-forgivers!
Clive didn't know how to handle my crying. He stared for a few moments and then when he saw Chloe jump in my lap to hug me he came racing over too. That was an incredibly sweet moment. His darling little smile and whole-bodied hug melted my heart immediately.
Anyways, I scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed some more using first water and then two different carpet cleaners. And surprisingly the dark purple blotch is almost completely gone!
After some much-needed naps for everyone the day got much better. Now I'm looking forward to a bath, Bible reading, and an early bedtime. Whew. This is one day I'm glad is almost over.
What's your worst stain story?
4 comments:
Today wasn't a stain day, but a mean mommy day.
You know it's bad when you have to leave church to snag your toddler from her class in order to make things right between the two of you.
It was one of those days for both of us. I think I'll shoot for a bath & Bible reading, too.
I'm sorry your day was a struggle, Alicia! I have those moments, too (although not with kids). Your post actually brought tears to my eyes b/c I can totally identify with your frustration. I had a rough night at work last night b/c of a new computer system. It felt like 5 1/2 hours solid of feeling stupid, being yelled at or yelling at someone else. ugh. I'm super glad your stain lifters worked & I'm super glad you're getting some extra rest. Take care of yourself!
I forgot to say, YUMM-O to the blackberry smoothies! My grandpa (who knows tons about homeopathic stuff) says that blackberries will do wonders for your digestion. Where did you get your berries? Are you fortunate enough to know someone who will let you pick them?
This last Sunday, I snapped at Kayla angrily, and I felt so terrible and convicted about it immediately after it left my mouth. I can't remember if she "didn't hear me" or if she chose to do something halfway the way I asked, but it was the last straw. Kayla's surprised face and betrayed eyes broke my heart. I too had to apologize and give her some cuddle time. I too am thankful for the quick forgiveness of a child.
I don't know if I'll ever forget one day when we were still in the States when I was at the breaking point and one more thing happened. I looked at Kayla and said, "This is why all the women at my job went back to work and put their kids in daycare. Maybe they were right after all that it's better that way and that I would be changing my mind about being a stay at home mom." Of course Kayla had no idea what I was saying, but she could hear the tone of my voice. We both burst into tears. Overall, I so didn't mean it, but at the same time, there was a part of me that selfishly did mean it a little bit.
I don't have a specific stain in mind, but in general, the worse stains I have faced are the ones that Kayla caused in someone else's house on deputation. I would hold my breath cleaning up that stain willing it to come out. All of our hosts were very gracious, but still -- I felt so badly.
I wanted to say thank you for being real here on the blog like with your reaction to this smoothie incident and with your story about the ticket from the policeman. I haven't taken time to comment much lately (and other times I have commented but our connection isn't fast enough to save it so it has been lost), but I have appreciated your friendship in this way. I find myself identifying with you so often. I love how you write -- it's like I'm there hearing you say it (I think -- I don't really know that for sure since I don't know you in person.) :-)
Post a Comment