5.17.2009

And we're off!

Matt is now officially done with his semester of teaching at Kent State University! Woo-hoo! I love being married to a teacher.

And tomorrow we're off on a much-needed mini-vacation to Pittsburgh to visit their highly-acclaimed zoo. Well, I don't know how highly-acclaimed it is but it was featured as one of the top ten zoos in the country in my last Parents mag. Supposedly they have an extraordinary kids area and an incredible aquarium.

The Pittsburgh zoo website gave some terrific tips for planning a visit. Lesson plans and activities are linked and broken down by age bracket. The teacher in me got vvvvvvvvvery excited. I highly recommend their resources for summer zoo trips with your kiddos. Also check out enchanted learning's website for a huge assortment of printable worksheets. I've got several coloring pages attached to a clipboard for Chloe to use as we walk through the zoo tomorrow.

We're pumped! And exhausted from the packing and planning. Can it be that we have a trunk full of stuff to take for just ONE night away from home?!? It's slightly ridiculous. But I don't think we've packed anything superfluous.

I'm ansy to see the polar bear exhibit tomorrow. According to the website, there's an underwater tunnel visitors walk through and you see the bears swimming above you. Now that's something you don't see every day!

What animals do you and your kids enjoy seeing at the zoo?

6 comments:

Abby said...

Elijah loves seeing the Monkeys and the Elephants - oh, and also the Giraffes. Our zoo (Cincinnati - which was also on the top 10 list!) has a really great Giraffe exhibit that the giraffes walk right up to you and you can feed them. It's really neat. We love having a zoo membership so we can go anytime, and then not feel bad if we only go for an hour to kill some time!! Have fun!!!

Mary Ann said...

Yay for mini-vacations! I'm so glad that Matt's summer has arrived & you get to celebrate at the zoo. I'm not a huge zoo fan myself, but if I had kids I'm sure it would be different. I do like to watch the polar bears & I also like penguins. Have a great time!

Amanda T said...

We just took Brooke to the zoo for the first time a couple weeks ago. She loved the monkeys and the siberian tiger. Most of the animals were sleeping when we went though and so we'll be heading back but not at 2pm. It was a zoo right here where we live in GR.
Hope you guys have a great time!!!

Carrie said...

all of them! i just love how they always are doing something different. We hope to go up to Pitts sometime as we have a zoo membership as well, thats good for there..and since it is only 2 hours north of us. hope you have a great trip.

Tracy said...

We love going to the zoo. I've always enjoyed the monkeys and the polar bears. My kids just love all of them.

Adele said...

Did you like it? I'm really hoping we can get there this summer as we are just under 2 hrs. from there. Jason just went to the Erie zoo with his client and although it is small, he said it was nice. I think it is free w/ a Pittsburgh and/or Cleveland Zoo membership. What is the Cleveland Zoo like?