Somedays I feel like I must be supermom. Today was not one of those days.After a morning outing with the kids to the gym for a workout, I fell asleep on the couch while Chloe watched 2 episodes of Wonder Pets (gotta love those cute singing animals). I took a nap this afternoon and Matt gave me the night off from dinner-cooking. Dinner consisted of microwaved lean pockets accompanied by carrot sticks and orange slices. :)
We've had a series of busy days and today it all caught up with me. I'm so thankful that I don't HAVE to be supermom to be loved or accepted by my family (or by God for that matter).
I wonder . . . do you all feel the supermom pressure too? I think stay-at-home mamas might feel that pressure more than others. Since we're at home all the time we think we should be doing lots of extra work. I reason that I should prove that I'm working just as hard as all those moms who "go to work". Do you agree or disagree?
Hello, caring for, feeding, clothing, and cleaning two children while maintaining a basic level of tidiness in my home is plenty of work for me! Why do I also endeavor to sew my own clothes, make homemade-everything from bread to yogurt to laundry detergent, and grow my own organically fertilized lettuce?
I'm sure a big part of this do more pressure is a part of my latent human nature. It's totally contrary to my nature to stop and rest. BUT I'm reminded on a slow-paced day like today that I can do NOTHING good in my own strength. Anything good that comes from me is straight from Jesus.
Today felt good. Slowing down and enjoying the kids and my hubby without worrying about all that I've accomplished or not accomplished was intoxicating. Ahhhh. I pray God gives me more non-supermom days like today!
7 comments:
I know exactly what you mean. I started baking my own bread and gardening because I felt it was expected of me by those in my community. Now I do it for other reasons, but it does make me wonder how many other things I do because I feel like I have to prove something.
From one unsupermom to another, amen! How great that our families don't expect that of us, huh?
I've started sewing and making my own what-have-yous to trim our budget--didn't really think about how these things contribute to the supermom image! My own struggles pertain to my kids... whether my 2-year-old can say Psalm 23 while setting the dinner table and singing in Spanish... blech!
I wonder if society's poor image of SAHMs makes some us feel the need to prove our worth? Sad, isn't it? What many faces has pride.
I will be honest that when your blog and others that are SAHM's I become a tad jelous. I think you all should receive an award for doing ALL that you do around your house. God gives you the extra dose of grace each day.
Thank you for your honesty and your testimony! :)
That super-hero image follows us all. It's not in my nature to stop & rest either. That's why I work two jobs, trained for a half-marathon, remodeled an entire house, moved myself & my fiance, & planned our wedding in the last 6-8 months. It is exhausting & sometimes you just HAVE to take time for a two-nap day. And remember that the joy of the Lord is our strenght & it is so true that we can only do what He gives us the strength to do. Have a super Wednesday!
You have me nodding. I very VERY rarely feel like anything close to supermom. Praise God for GRACE!!!
Alicia - your posts have been such a blessing. I am NOT a supermom and it would be prideful if I even hinted that I was. Anything good that I have done in my life (including motherhood) has been because of God's grace and strength. :)
It's against my nature to stop and rest too. In fact, for the most part, I enjoy being on the go -- until it just gets to be too much. But, I have had lots of thoughts lately about what truly is most important. And I'm realizing sometimes what's most important is to do just what you did the day you wrote this post -- to slow down and not to focus on accomplishing things. I'm definitely not supermom either! Thanks for the post.
Post a Comment