5.09.2009

Stupid choices

Since becoming a mom I've become much less impulsive in my decision-making. I usually consider the options and try to make the wisest, safest, cheapest choice possible.

Not so in the past few days. I abhor the word stupid. It's so harsh-sounding and mean. Lately I've earned the stupid label for my rash choices.

On our way to Bible study Thursday morning we were running a little late (we're almost always running late) and I sighed when I saw the last light in our journey turn red just as I reached it. I stopped and waited. I finished applying my lipstick and we waited some more. It felt like ages for the light to turn and since the road is under construction I reasoned that maybe the traffic light was broken. I inched forward and once the traffic cleared I proceeded through the intersection. As I coasted across the street out of the corner of my eye I saw the light change to green. No biggie I thought, I drove the last block to church and then I saw a very different set of lights. And they were flashing. Arrggh! Yup, I earned myself a traffic citation for running a red light. Even though I cried (the tears were very sincere, believe me!) the kind officer still issued me a ticket. That was stupid choice #1. And of course then I was upset and blubbery all through Bible study. The worst part though was explaining to Chloe that I broke the law. Talk about feeling like a rotten mama! In the moment it was trying but of course I realize now the value in it. I got to modeling in front of Chloe how to apologize and take consequences when I made a bad choice.

Stupid choice #2 came yesterday afternoon when I hastily searched priceline for a cheap hotel rate for our upcoming family mini-vacation to Pittsburgh. After seeing some higher-than-desirable prices I decided to go the "name my own price" route. I should have listened to my inner warnings as I read the non-refundable no cancellations policy but instead I dashed ahead. I was pumped to see the results come back - a classy downtown hotel room for only 50 bucks! My heart sank however when I realized that parking isn't included. And there's no complimentary breakfast or swimming pool. Arrggh again! Thankfully, Pittsburgh is not Chicago and overnight parking will only cost $10. And there's a McD's nearby so we can score a cheap kid-friendly breakfast there.

I'm thankful God shows me my stupidity and reminds me of His unfailing love and waiting forgiveness. I'm still His child and He'll always gather me into His arms with comfort even when I fail. I certainly need to be humbled before realizing the depth of my need for Jesus!

What foolish decisions/choices have you made of late? Have any of you been pulled over with your kiddos?

4 comments:

suzanne said...

ARGH! I hate it when I do stuff like that. I have made some REALLY bad choices in the past. The worst part for me is the feeling like I've disappointed Ryan and cost us some money that we don't have. I think I've gotten two tickets since we've been married. I did get pulled over with Gavin in the car once, but he was little. AND, Ryan's brother is a police officer and he got me out of it. I haven't done anything dreadful as of late, but I am sure something is just around the corner!

Heather said...

I haven't gotten pulled over by a cop since high school, but believe me there have been times when I thought that cop behind me was going to put his lights on and pull me over for the hasty decisions I had made!

Janelle said...

Bless your heart for being so honest and transparent! Some lessons in life truly are HARD, but a mixed blessing is the fact that it teaches us a big, fat lesson and we are able to explain these things to our kids. Hopefully I won't have to go that far for an object lesson though! By the way, we all do stupid stuff probably every day. Some things are bigger than others, but thank our wonderful Lord for his amazing patience with us! Happy Mother's Day to you!

suzanne said...

Oh, I can't believe I forgot this, it will make you feel MUCH better. Last year I parked in a no parking zone downtown and got a ticked AND towed. IT ened up costing us over $300 and it cost Ryan about three hours of time. It was aweful.