11.25.2008

Victory over brown rice!

I have to share a personal victory with you all. I finally figured out how to successfully cook long grain brown rice!!! Thank you, Lord!

Until now my brown rice has always turned out too crunchy or too soggy and underdone. So, I gave up trying to cook brown rice for awhile. I bought instant brown rice for a bit and then even went back to white rice [gasp!].

Here's the secret: soak the grains for 15-20 minutes before cooking.

Why did I never know this?!? It's definitely made the difference in my brown rice. And my family (Matt especially) is very happy that I finally make rice that actually tastes like rice.

Do you all have any cooking giants to overcome?

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

It's a stupid, stupid thing, but I sometimes have a terrible time with jello. I'm a home ec major that can't do anything with jello. Just to make it & put it in a dish, fine. But to do something special like a pretty mold or pretzel salad & things always go south. :-)

the johnson crew said...

pancakes!