5.21.2008

The comfort of Scripture

Do you ever feel that the Bible is written specifically for you? That God gives you a special message that is exactly applicable to your situation and feelings? It's refreshing when God does that. Like a big glass of water to my soul after a long thirsty day.

Yesterday was a particularly rough day for me. Matt was in an allergy fog all day and his constant pill-popping made him even more unlike himself. So I was on full-time kid duty and laundry duty while he napped and tried to do a few projects with my dad (he's visiting right now).

I usually slump after supper time; the day and my intermittent sleep from the night before catch up with me in the early evening. Last night was no different. Since Matt was feeling so lousy, I got stuck with doing the huge pile of dinner dishes while my dad took Chloe for a walk. Then my pop and I took the kiddos to run a few errands and gave Matt some quiet time. After the kids got to bed I folded laundry with my dad until 10:30 while we watched the movie Rocky Balboa. I did some Narnia reading and at 11 something I exhaustedly picked up my Bible for a quick psalm.

I recently began reading a psalm before bedtime. Since psalms are usually short I don't have to focus my tired brain for long. And they're jam-packed with encouragement. Last night I was drained completely from the day and though I longed for sleep, I was restless. As C.S. Lewis aptly observes, "It is a very funny thing that the sleepier you are the longer you take about getting to bed . . . " (The Silver Chair, p.47). I turned to Psalm 3, which reads as follows:
O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me!

Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah

But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head.

To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah

I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side.

Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked.

From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah
Ahh. That was just what I needed, Lord. Thank you! You are the lifter of my head the author of my joy. You cause me to sleep and to wake again (at 3:30 a.m. thanks to Clive) and you truly sustain me.

What Scripture has been your source of strength lately?


6 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Alicia - I have been praying for strength a lot lately myself. I love that phase, "You are the lifter of my head." What a beautiful visual that creates in my mind - the hand of God raising my weary head. The verses that have encouraged me are Isaiah 40:31 & Hebrews 12:1-2 (both of which help me when I'm running) ;-) Thanks for the encouraging post!

S said...

I have been doing a study through the names of God and I am on El Olam - the Everlasting God. It is such an encouragement to know God has always been there and will always be. When my problems seem insurmountable and tiredness clouds my thinking (also), I take solace in the fact that God will give me the strength I need and has my life and circumstances in His control.

Isaiah 40:28
Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

Carrie said...

I just finished Jer recently and then started I Choronicles...tooo be honest its been hard to find truths through all the geanelogies but today I read David's song of praise after he brought the ark back to the city of David..It was just the encouragement and reminder I needed.

Joe & Sarah McDaniel said...

Thanks for sharing that, Al!

Suzie said...

Hi, Alicia! I'm a voice from your NBBC past (Suzie Hagey) and recently found your blog. Thanks for sharing--this post was a blessing and a reminder that I really needed. Keep up the great work. :)

Karis said...

What a great post! It was an encouragement to read what has been a blessing to my sisters in Christ.

Psalm 37:7a " Be still in the presence of the Lord, and wait patiently for Him to act."

Psam 62:5 "I wait quietly before God, for my hope is in him."

Prov 16:9 "We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps."

Prov 16:33 "We may throw the dice, but the Lord determines how they fall."

I've just been going to some of my "old time favorite" verses lately and following cross references. It's been just what I needed to keep from stressing out about things beyond my control and having so many things to do beyond my already busy mommy job.