Chloe REALLY took to her gramps and buelita this summer. Every day she expressed her love for them in her unique endearing ways.
This morning as they left, I couldn't help crying a bit (and those tears weren't pregnancy induced) as Chloe hugged her buelita from the back and said spontaneously "I love you!" Chloe obviously didn't comprehend that they were leaving (though I've tried explaining it to her) and wouldn't be back for a long while. It made me melancholy to think that Chloe was so innocently joyful at saying goodbye to her grandparents who she might not see for an entire year. She's so full of love for them that sadness doesn't enter into her little heart.
I'm so inexpressibly grateful for the influence of grandparents and great-grandparent in Chloe's life. This is probably more poignant for me than others because we live far away from all of our extended family; each visit is a very special one. Each grandparent adds a new and rich dimension to Chloe's life and I'm so thankful that they all want to invest themselves in her small little existence.
Any one else out there in the same boat as us (with long-distance grandparents)? How do you cope and keep your little one connected? We've used Skype with my mom and sister which has worked extremely well for Chloe (though now when I say we're going to call gramma she says "computer").
5 comments:
My parents left this past Sunday after lunch and it was so sad. As they were driving away, Michael was saying "Poppa go, Poppa go". Later he said "Grammie's bag go". Needless to say, I get teary just thinking about it.
I am so thankful that we can have sweet fellowship with my parents and my in-laws. It's better to feel as we do instead of dreading visits with our loved ones.
We take lots of pictures an post them on Kodak Gallery for all the family to see. We also do blogging, phone calls and emails. I need to send videos of Michael - I just haven't been organized enough to get it together.
I am so glad that you had a wonderful time with your in-laws. They look like delightful people to be around. I would imagine that they loved their little Chloe. Hopefully, you'll get back into your normal routine soon. Take care!
my entire family is in Canada so they are about 10 hrs. from where we live. I think it's harder on my mom than it is on me sometimes, but thankfully she has been able to see him about every three months since he was born, and that is more than we ever saw her since we got married! :) I talk to her on msngr. or call during the week and she is able to talk to jackson. Jackson sees her picture and knows her voice. it's cute to see his face light up when she talks to him.
i love that picture of chloe how she has her hand on 'buelita's' arm. so cute!
yes, we are sad to be far away from our parents...ESPECIALLY since Esther's been born. she changes so much every day and you wish they could be a part of it. we do webcam with my parents and stephen's parents are trying to get hooked up with it. i also have pictures all over the house where i regularly tell esther who her relatives are. when she gets older, i want to emphasize that us living far away from the grandparents (besides being God's will most probably for most of our lives) is special because we won't take them for granted!
We're totally on the same page as you guys! Being in the military sometimes we live closer to family and sometimes we live WAY farther away. We don't get visits very often either and that makes my heart sad for Aaron to not see them very often. I grew up with pretty much my entire family, on both sides, living in the same town so we saw cousins, aunts and uncles, and grandparents all the time. I am even more grateful now for that time, but sad that Aaron probably won't ever get that chance. We try to take lots of pictures and show them to him often to remind him of who they are. I guess that's just going to have to work for now, until the Lord allows for something better.
We're blessed to live in the same town as the in-laws and 15 minutes from my parents.
But the way you share is so awesome, you do fun things that we never do. Your time is precious together. It's quality.
We're always around each other and we totally take it for granted. I am greatful we're close. thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment