9.25.2011

Taming the wild mane

It's no secret that Chloe's hair is wild, thick and easily-tangled.  Poor girl had the misfortune of inheriting my hair exactly.  The color, texture, thickness - everything about Chloe's hair is identical to mine. And since I do my hair in a grand total of TWO different ways (down or ponytail) I'm pretty clueless as to how to manage Chloe's hair.

The mane problem (that's not a misspelling, just a cheesy intended pun) is keeping her hair out of her eyes.  I've done pigtails, braids, ponytails and barrettes to no avail. Sure they work at first but give her hair a few hours and it's bird-nest-city.

Until now that is!  I think I may have finally found the solution to keeping Chloe's thick hair off her face.  The fabric headband!  Usually headbands aren't strong enough to keep Chloe's hair back.  But these fabric headbands really stay put.  And they're cute to boot!  And super easy to whip up in an afternoon (check out the linked tutorial here though I opted not to use interfacing). 

The bonus is that Chloe really likes wearing them.  She helped me pick out the fabric (went with navy blues to match her school uniform ensembles) and even did a little of the sewing and cutting.

Any tips and tricks for me on managing my little girl's hair?  If you'd like to come and french braid her hair every morning I'd feed you breakfast.  Any takers?  :) 

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

She's such a doll! I love the headbands - so cute! And a great way to introduce Chloe to sewing.
My mom used to have the same problem with me. She cut my hair really short *eek!* I wasn't happy with it. Anyway, my sister & I always had bangs because then we at least didn't have any hair in our eyes. That's all the wisdom I've got for ya :-)

suzanne said...

What a great idea! Thanks for posting this. Charlotte's hair is always in her face and I think that those tiny little pony tail holders are breaking her hair off. I'm definitely going to try this!

Unknown said...

Mary Ann: I know, the obvious solution is to chop her hair off but I can't bear to! Maybe in the summer. And bangs just scare me since it means I'd have to constantly be trimming them. I can't be bothered with such things! :)

Suzanne: Glad you can use the idea! The tutorial is SO SIMPLE. It takes a bit longer than I had hoped because of the turning right-side-out step because I'm awfully slow at doing that. But in one naptime I got 4 done -- hope these help your Charlotte! I also love that you don't need much fabric for these. A great way to use up cool scraps!