9.21.2011

Apple pickin'

Last Friday I impulsively packed the kiddos into the car and drove to a local apple orchard.  It turned out to be a beautiful day for it!  The sun came out, the predicted rain never appeared and the kids had loads of fun tromping around exploring the orchard.

Besides coming away with 2 bushels of apples for only $20, it was lovely to see my three enjoying the outdoors a bit. 

I usually remember to throw my camera into my purse for outings such as these but I don't always remember to snap any pictures.  We were QUITE the sight to see.  I was hollering, leading and instructing three kiddos (one of which is semi-permanently attached to my hip) to the correct apple trees, messenger bag over my shoulder with supplies, two bags in hand for gathering fruit and my camera out snapping photos.

Even the lady handing out bags at the market didn't think I'd be able to swing it.  I told her I wanted two bushel bags.  Simple, right?  But then she saw my crazy wild bunch she said, "I'll give you one thick bag and one thin bag in case you don't fill it all the way up.  These thick bushel bags are really expensive and I don't want to waste them."  My tongue doesn't respond quickly these days (and that's probably a blessing in disguise) so I just nodded, took the bags and escaped her demeaning looks.  [Don't worry, said lady apologized to me later when I came to pay for my two full bushel bags of apples.  She said, "I really didn't think you'd be able to pick so many!"  Just because I have small children doesn't mean I'm not a serious picker, lady!]


On outings such as this, I get a kick out of spying out other young families in the rural setting.  We saw two other families out picking this time around.  The first was a small family with mom and dad and two small girls. They weren't really picking at all -- just taking cute photos and trying to keep the girls clean.  It made me smile.  Especially as I looked at my own children who, by this time, were neither cute nor clean.  The other family we noticed was more of an entourage.  Grandparents, parents and other relatives were all cooing and excitedly helping two small children pick apples.  Again it was papparazzi time as their adorable cherubs snatched apples from limbs and beamed in the sunshine.


I'm not judging here; it truly was sweet to see such doting and vicarious enjoyment in the faces of the relatives.  I have been in those same shoes when I had fewer children and my family was in town visiting.  But usually I'm not in that doting zone and it's interesting to watch it from afar. I'm about pragmatism and survival when I'm out alone with my three short people.  As I kept Solomon from eating rotten apples from the ground, I smiled and was grateful for my dirty happy children.  Plus did I mention we came away with 2 bushels of apples and some pretty cute pictures to boot? 


Chloe especially enjoyed climbing a particularly low apple tree.  In general she likes to be outside but she's definitely more of an indoor cat.  So it was a big surprise to me when she said, "Mom, if we had an apple tree in our backyard, I wouldn't need any toys at all!"

For now we're enjoying eating lots of fresh apples and I'm slowly working on peeling, coring, chopping the fruit for applesauce.  So far I've made two batches of spiced crockpot applesauce, an apple crisp and an apple snack cake (which delectably included walnuts and butterscotch chips).  Yumminess!

Now I just wish I had more time or more hands to get these suckers peeled, cored and chopped so they can get off my countertop!  I sure am thankful that apples have a long shelf life.

What's your favorite way to cook with apples?   I'd love to hear your recipes and get some new ways to use these Jonathans and Cortlands up!

Can you tell she's used to pausing so mama can take her picture? 

The apples were tasty but a bit tough for toddler chompers.

Tree climbing is SO FUN!

These strange-looking apples came home with me too.

Perfectly safe Solly seat!

Solomon LOVED being a big boy sitting in the tree with his sibs!

Classic Clive expression as he expounds and enlightens.


Clive was serious about his apple picking.  For about 1 minute that is.  Quickly he discovered that carrying a bag with more than 5 apples was too heavy for his little 3 year old arms.

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Your babies are so cute! I'm so glad you followed your impulse & went apple picking. I really hope I can get one orchard trip in this season.
I usually just use the apples for applesauce. I do have a recipe for apple bread that I will try to remember to email to you. We love it (probably a little bit too much, if you know what I mean!) & it's simple to make. If you don't get an email from me soon feel free to remind me :-)
And I know what you mean, it's totally fun to people-watch & observe other family dynamics. And I have no doubt that your kiddos were cute & fun the whole time! If I had been there I would probably have been people-watching all of you :-)

Unknown said...

Mary Ann: YOU ARE TOO SWEET with your nice comments! Believe me, if you would have been people-watching us you would have probably rushed to my aid and wiped someone's nose. It's amazing how God protects us when I'm out alone with the kids. They walk a fine line between safety and calamity! :) Looking forward to trying your apple bread recipe!