8.03.2011

Jesus loves the little children . . . even Solly

By day's end I was ready to offer up my third-born for adoption.  It was THAT kind of day.  My Solly was crabby, clingy and full of impertinent screaming today.  Blech.

I sure hope he's getting sick.  Yes, you heard me right.  That would at least explain the bad behavior.  If he's NOT sick then there are troublesome days ahead for me and monster toddler boy!

Solomon epitomizes the phrase *busy boy*.  My boy doesn't often sit still.  He only remains stationary for really engaging activities like reading books, dismantling sippy cups or digging in the sand.  Even when reading books he has his limit.  I think he might have ADD.  Seriously.  If he doesn't like the book he slams it shut after only a few pages and squirms his way off my lap to choose another book from the shelf.

So tonight after literally wrestling him into his diaper and jammies, we sat down to read our pile of bedtime books.  He was not so cooperative. Solly slammed several books closed after only a few sentences.  UNTIL we came to the book Jesus Loves the Little Children  that is. 

I sang through Jesus Loves the Little Children  all the way through and Solomon sat quietly and helped turn pages.  And then he opened the cover to read through it AGAIN.  His recent insatiable squirminess highlighted his sudden attentiveness.  As I sang through the book a second time, I couldn't help crying a bit as I realized God was speaking.  Speaking soft soothing words to my weary impatient soul and reminding me of the unchanging truth of His love.  He loves the little children of the world -- even my crabby pants Solomon. 

And so should you, Alicia.

God has given Solomon to me as a priceless gift.  I know that's trite but God hammered me with that truth tonight.  Precious, loved, dear and known by God.  I let those words wash away my frustration.  Why was I irritated and impatient with this beautiful bundle of boy again?

I am humbled again and transfixed by the idea of God's unconditional love.  Jesus loves Solomon regardless of his actions and affections towards him (or lack thereof).  That's such a huge thought.  Especially now that I'm momming it to three little ones.  I so often find my expressions of love wavering up and down through the day as the kids please or displease, upset or delight, fight or make peace. 

Lord, fill me up with your kind of love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks--I needed that reminder too! You should save this one and compile it into a Mom Devotional book that you write someday. Seriously.
If you ever would like to consider a trade, however, I have an extremely fussy newborn . . . :)