5.05.2011

Peepy Science

In an attempt to rid our house of excess sugar (aka Easter candy) I hastily threw together some Peeps-themed science experiments.  I love how dual-purposed homeschool activities can be!

Get rid of sugar - check.
Introduce basic science concepts - checkity check. 

Using these websites as my inspiration (peepsresearch and geekmom), I set up the following simple experiments with the kids.

1. Soaked a peep in water to see if it would dissolve
2. Melted a peep in the microwave (watch closely or it will explode! ours lasted about 30 seconds)
3. Cooked peeps on the stove (the melted results of which I mixed with butter and rice krispies to make peeps krispie treats)
4. Lit a peep on fire


Peeps are really just marshmallows with coated with dyed-sugar.  And marshmallows are pure sugar.  So these experiments are more about sugar than anything else.  


I also remembered quickly as I started explaining the properties of sugar to the kids that they are still only 5 and 3. They just need to know that sugar gives a burst of energy and then crashes (visually displayed in the peep-lighting-on-fire experiment).  It was an excellent visual for making the case to less sugar intake and more protein intake in a stable diet.

We had the most fun watching the peep grow and almost explode in the microwave.  You've gotta try that!  Just take care not to let the peep explode.  Unless you enjoy scraping off dried hardened marshmallow that is. 

I experienced that first hand -- not on the microwave walls but on the sides of my pot.  In melting the peeps on the stove top I neglected to watch them carefully and went off to do something else.  The peeps burned creating not only an awful smell but a horrible dried layer of marshmallow goo.  :(  Thankfully boiling water did the trick to remove the crusty burned peep remains.  And I had 1/2 a bag of marshmallows in the cupboard to throw into our peeps krispies treats in place of the charred mess. 

I'm not an eater of peeps.  Way too sweet for my palate.  But I certainly enjoy the cuteness and mystique surrounding peeps candy.  Have you seen the Washington Post's annual Peeps diorama contest?  Hilarious!




2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'm not a peep eater, either. I actually am not much of a marshmallow eater except for rice krispie treats :-) Sounds like a fun science day!

Jenny said...

FUN experiments! and great way to remove the sugar from the house! My kids are going to revolt when they find out about all the junk I've been withholding from them. Hee hee. Or not. Aaron went to a birthday party this year for the first time and came back with a tummy ache from cake, smarties, and juice boxes. It was an awesome lesson for him in only eating treats once in awhile - he still talks about it. :-)