I've been attempting these past few years to cook more from scratch and keep fewer boxes of processed foods around the pantry.
I'm finding there are some food items I just can NOT make from scratch myself. Bagels, sausage, cheese, potato chips . . . these are all products I have no desire to recreate. (I tried making homemade bagels once. It was not pretty.)
But what I'm striving to eliminate from our family diet is the processed starchy snacks that are filled to the gills with refined sugars and additives. So far, I've only successfully eliminated one major item from our processed food stock -- granola bars.
After trying a few recipes that left me with less-than-yummy granola bars, my sister-in-law gave me a winner. This recipe is AMAZING. Literally. You'll never want to buy store-bought granola bars again! These granola bars are EASY to make and the results are consistently good. Even for me who is a not-so-accurate measurer these bars turn out great every time.
Check out the recipe in full here at allrecipes. Be sure to read the first couple of reviews for some excellent tips on making these even more delicious! I've only made these the basic way but according to the reviews you can make several variations that sound fabulous.
Next on my to-try-to-make list is homemade wheat thins. If cracker making goes well, I'll attempt homemade cheez its. These look unbearably delicious and cheesy. And there are only 6 ingredients. Yeehaw! Now the real test will be to see if the kids will accept the homemade versions over the store-bought stuff. I'll keep you posted!
What culinary experiments are you cooking up these days?
2 comments:
ACK! I saw your comment on FB and thought to myself, "WOW it's been awhile since Alicia's blog showed up in my google reader..."
OOPS somehow I missed your move. Going to catch up now.
other than granola bars, (YUM) we've also consistently replaced pudding mixes and "cream of" soups. Snacks are very hard - my policy now is popcorn, cheese, fruit and nuts...with occasional starchy things like crackers, or homemade muffins. Most of this is because of my gluten free status, but it's good for all of us. With a noticeable ouch to the budget. ;-/
I think this way a lot, too. What can I make instead of popping out of a box? I have seen the homemade Cheez Its recipe before & it intrigues me b/c I love them but they always make me sick. I wonder if the homemade ones would be ok? And homemade Wheat Thins?! That is seriously fun looking. I tried to check out the granola bar link but it didn't work. I've made granola cereal but not bars. I need to invesigate that one, too :-) Thanks for sharing; it's inspiring!
Post a Comment