4.26.2011

Rethinking my blog

Again, I'm delinquent in my blog posting.  This time it's been almost a MONTH since my last post. 

Yikes.

It's not like I don't have fodder for posting; I always seem to have 5+ ideas running around in my frazzled brain.  What I lack lately is time and hutzpah (how DO you spell that word?).  Can't some genius out there invent something to read my thoughts while I'm in the shower and transmit them automatically into blog posts?  Is there an app for that?

Which leads me to a crossroads regarding this here blogspace of mine.  I know I've lost readership in the last months.  I'm guessing that's because 1) I haven't blogged consistently and 2) the purpose of blogs is changing.

I've been pondering the latter quite a bit lately.  When I consider the blogs that I read regularly very few of them are personal individually-authored blogs.  I read blogs on couponing, cooking, homeschooling, Biblical living, crafting, and geekdom.  Yes, I said geekdom (check out geekmom for all things geeky). 

Facebook seems to have become the new mecca for personal ramblings and photo posting.  I admit that I've been lured and have succumbed.  I love the ease and super quickness of posting in FB.  The notes feature still allows for journal-type reflection posts and I can share photos easily with my long-distance family.

The biggest drawback of Facebook that I can see is that the access is so universal.  Even though I have all my privacy settings in FB to "Friends Only" my friend count is an unwieldy 368.  Those 368 FB friends range from high school acquaintances, old friends of my husband's that I've never met, extended family, former students, college buddies and local friends.   Do I want those 368 folks to see all my photos and thoughts?  In posting to my blog, visitors have to know the actual url address to find me.  Or I suppose they could do a google search for my blog.  Or they could see the links to the notes I've imported into Facebook.  Huh.  So, I guess the blog does have the same access level for someone who really wanted to find it.  Confused yet? 

All that to say, I'm thinking of axing my blog.  Bloggers out there, are you killing your blog presence in lieu of FB?  What pros/cons do you see to both venues?

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I'd be sorry if you axed your blog but I understand your thought process. The only thing is, I'm on the other side of the fb issue. I really can't stand it. I get on there occasionally but, like you, my friend count is astronomical & full of people that arent' actually friends. I can't access fb at work (only in a limited way on my phone) so I don't even know how to navigate my home page. I was wanting to link my blog posts on fb but I haven't taken the time to figure that out. I love blogging. Sometimes I wonder why b/c it doesn't seem like anyone reads it but I do enjoy the planning & writing process. Blogging has given me the feeling that I've reconnected with people so much more than fb has (probably b/c I'd rather read & comment on blogs that be on fb!).
Good luck making your choice :-)

Carrie said...

Personally I just don't think I can sum up all my thoughts and details in a status update. I really enjoy reading others blogs as well as writing mine too and I love the record I have of events and pictures. I sometimes worry about the security thing but other than that I love blogging!

Amanda T said...

I understand what you're contemplating, Alicia. I've noticed that my blog posts rarely have comments on them, but I also import them to FB and that is where people read them and comment on them. I feel like FB is somewhat limiting as compared to what I can do on a blog, but if people are just reading it there, then why do I have my blog?!

Kelly Glupker said...

There is NO STINKNI' WAY I'm getting rid of my blog and I don't think you should either. :) I know people don't comment very often and I wonder if it's because they use google reader and it's a nuisance to comment or if it's because people just don't read. (Although I have a tracker on my blog so I can tell that I still get a lot of hits even though I rarely get comments). But for me, my blog is my scrapbook. I don't have time to do a real scrapbook. So I record things that probably nobody else cares about but things I know my kids will enjoy reading some day. Don't give up! :)