1.04.2011

Resolving not to resolve

I'm not making any resolutions this year.  I know if I DO pen any resolutions, I'd just be setting myself up for certain failure. 

Also, since I'm a hugely approval-motivated person I need to tread with caution.  It would easy peasy for me to build up my ego if I actually achieve a resolution -- no matter how minor or major the accomplishment my pride does not need help in puffing itself up unduly. 

So instead I'm setting some overarching goals for 2011.  "Overarching goals" sound less intimidating than "resolutions", doesn't it?

In 2011 I'd like to:

* lose weight
* exercise more
* read my Bible consistently
* spend more time with my husband

How 'bout you?  Did you resolve or set any goals for the coming año?

1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I am so with you, Alicia! I tend to dislike New Year's because there is pressure somehow to evaluate the year past & make big plans for change in the upcoming year. What if you didn't accomplish anything in the past year? I always tend to think I've failed somehow in my resolutions & it makes me very wary of setting up new ones. Besides, almost everything that we resolve to do are things that need to be done anyway, everyday, all the time. One of my good friends resolved to learn to make homemade gravy. She knew it was doable. I'm making a resolution in that kind of style - I resolve to learn how to make an apple pie. And that's it! :-)