1.28.2011

New Recipes

In an effort to trim our weekly grocery budget I'm trying to make better use of my pantry and make fewer last minute trips for necessary ingredients.  This past week I didn't plan very well.   As 4 p.m. rolled around, I found myself searching Allrecipes frantically for meals to create with my pantry ingredients.

The results were not well-received.  At least not by the short people sitting at the table.  Made two big-time flops this week (tomato florentine soup and chicken fried rice with broccoli).   

Thankfully to counteract the meal-time flops, I also stumbled upon a few winning recipes this week. 

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats.  (found this recipe in a free calendar so there's no link, sorry!) This recipe was actually billed as *homemade granola bars*.  These are not at ALL like granola bars.  There's no baking involved and they turned out slightly crumbly.  Still it makes a yummy protein-filled snack.  And it must be eaten in a bowl or the crumby mess is out of control.  This is a great treat for preparing with small children.  My 3 year old counter-sitting helper loved mixing this all together!

Homemade hummus.  I like this recipe because it doesn't use tahini.  It's lemony and tangy and very easy to blend up for a quick healthy snack.  We've been eating this with pita chips, celery sticks, and on sandwiches.

World's best cornbread.  I was skeptical o this recipe touting such a brazen claim.  But after making this honey-laden cornbread, I'm a believer.  This IS indeed the world's BEST cornbread.  Try it for yourself and you'll be convinced too.  Beyond delicious!

What tasty new recipes have you stumbled upon lately?

1 comment:

Adele said...

I made this last week:

http://picky-palate.com/2010/03/18/green-chili-chicken-and-lime-soup/

I left out the extra can of chilis since we have 3 little mouths to include in the meal planning. I would also suggest only using half of the cilantro.

I also broiled a london broil I found on "clearance" at the grocery store. It actually turned out better than I expected. Found out you keep flipping it back and forth every 5 min. until it's done the way you like it. Took about 25 min. total. A great option when you can't dig out the grill because of the snow!