1.22.2011

Christmas questions

Can it seriously be the end of January already?!

I've had this blog post drafted since shortly after Christmas . . . life has gotten in the way of blogging.  But that's probably as it should be.

I truly want to hear about the Christmas celebrations you all had in 2010.  I also want to give you all a summary of our holidays but don't want to bore you with lengthy details and stories.  But instead of asking the ubiquitous, "How was your Christmas?" I thought it'd be more fun to do a focused question/answer format for holiday reporting. 

Here's how it'll work.  I'll list 3 questions regarding your Christmas happenings.  In turn I'll post my answers below.  And then you can post your answers as your comment.  Sound good? 

1. What was your biggest surprise this Christmas?
I framed this question to fit my answer because I got a HUGE surprise this Christmas.  My sister lives overseas and flew home for Christmas without telling me. My mom was in on the deceit and arranged for my sis to arrive at my house late one night.  My deceptive mother hid my sis in the basement that night and then brought her up during breakfast the next morning.  I WAS SHOCKED.  I was beyond surprised.  My poor sleep-deprived brain couldn't comprehend what was happening.  I kept touching my sister to make sure I wasn't dreaming or seeing things.  (I'm not exaggerating, I really kept poking her that first day.)  It was FANTASTIC to have her here with us for all the fun Christmas festivities.

2. Which gift did you most enjoy giving?
I made a few freezer-paper stencil tees again this year.  My fave was the "Serenity Now" tee I painted for Matt.  We often cry out for serenity to descend upon the clamorous chaos!

3. What was your favorite Christmas 2010 memory?
That's a tough one to answer.  Had a blast sledding (and falling) with my sis and Chloe.  And we put on a brief Mary-and-Joseph re-enactment on Christmas Eve that was fun.  Doing the Jesse tree ornaments was certainly a rich tradition that I hope to continue each year.  But overall my favorite times were the ones when we were all just sitting around the table eating, laughing and enjoying one another.  In those moments I just sat back and relished the love and extreme comfort of family.  I'm so thankful to God for the blessings of family!

Now it's your turn to answer!  Looking forward to hearing about your Christmas memories!

3 comments:

Katie said...

1. Biggest surprise: The gifts Chris gave me were both great surprises! We had our family Christmas on the Sunday night before Christmas Day, before we traveled to WI. Chris gave me front row tickets to White Christmas downtown (Chicago)! He also had arranged a babysitter himself, which was a huge deal to me! I LOVED every minute of the performance and don't think I stopped smiling the entire time. It was just lovely.
2.Favorite gift that I gave: Hm, maybe all the gifts we gave were my favorite, because for the first time in a while, we actually had money to buy gifts for people we love! :) I wish I had done a better job at giving Chris a more thoughtful and creative gift. One gift that I was excited about giving Simon was "Penguin Race" or something like that. It's one of the toys on Baby Beethoven, I think, and is little penguins going up stairs then down a slide. It's fun (though has a very annoying barking noise the whole time) and was pretty cheap.
3. Favorite memory: being with family - lots of little memories I guess. :)

Megan said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic Christmas - how awesome your sister surprised you with a visit!

Mary Ann said...

So glad to hear some details of your Christmas! I'm so very happy that your sister surprised you like that. How sweet!
1. My husband ordered a couple of personalized Christmas ornaments for me. I have several personalized ornaments from my childhood & they are special to me so he got me two (one that is just me & another one that is supposed to represent us both). I love, love, love them! And I was totally surprised.
2. Mike & I made a cornhole game for our niece. He made the wooden frames & I made the corn bags. I was very super glad to give them to Caydance. She was estatic & so was I - I was so glad to have that project DONE!
3. My favorite Christmas 2010 memory...my mind automatically goes to the time spent at my Grands house. There is a lot of family there, we have a chaotic grab bag gift exchange, we sing Christmas carols, & read the Christmas story. Such sweet, good times with the family. I wish we could have Christmas more than once a year :-)

Thanks for your little 'quiz'. It was nice to reflect back on the holidays & remember again how good God has been.