What kindergarten program would be complete without an apple-theme week?
Here are the highlights from our apple-y fun week:
- Beckwith Orchards. This family-owned orchard as been providing the northeast Ohio area with apples and education for more than four generations. Even though the orchard's website offered school group tours I didn't think I'd be able to wrangle up the 15 kiddo minimum and find parents willing and able to go for $4 a pop.
Instead, I loaded up my crew and headed to the orchards on Friday, the last day of our week's apple studies. The timing was perfect! Several school groups were touring the place that day and the entire staff seemed in the educational mood. Beckwith's not only has walk-able orchards galore (though no picking -- that's ok we've already been apple-picking this season) it also has a cute country store and apple market on site. The country store is fabulous, stocked with lots of homemade jams and butters, dried fruit goodies, cider, and plenty of country-ish decor.
I peeked into the big apple sorting/washing room. Determined to ask someone knowledgeable about the difference between apple cider and apple juice, I queried a friendly looking person inside. She beckoned us in (YES!) and promptly introduced me to Grandpa Beckwith, owner of the establishment. He was waiting for the next school group and happily answered my question and more! He gave the kids apples to snack on and started up the apple sorter/washer machine for us. He explained the process to us and I kept asking questions to keep the information flow going.
After we bought our apples and cider, we headed out to the orchard to eat our picnic lunch amidst the apple trees. As we munched, another school group came outside and the tour guide stopped RIGHT in front of us! So, we got to hear about 10 minutes worth of more apple info. Woo-hoo!
Apple party. Had the last-minute idea for an apple party on Friday afternoon. Thankfully some neighbor pals weren't busy and were able to join us! We hung an apple on a string from a tree and let the kiddos go at it without using their hands (WHY didn't I get a picture of that?!?). The kids also bobbed for apples, drank cider, and noshed on candied apples. Way fun!
- Apple prints. This idea is an old one but a good one! Cut one apple vertically and another horizontally. Dip in paint and have at it!
- Apple goodies. You KNOW we ate lots of delicious apple stuff during our apple week. We kicked off Monday with an apple-themed lunch (applesauce, apple shaped jello jigglers, peppers cut into apple shapes, apples atop peanut butter toast). During the week we had baked apples, apple pie, LOTS of applesauce, apple muffins, and candied apples. Thus far I've made six batches of applesauce. Check out this super easy crockpot recipe for spiced applesauce. We all love it (Solly included) but after this batch in the fridge, I declare an applesauce hiatus for a few weeks.
- Johnny Appleseed. We read a few books on this legendary pioneer planter, sang his song, and watched the Disney flick. I couldn't find the full-length Johnny Appleseed movie but I found a bite-sized version in the Disney American Legends dvd. EXCELLENT! Because it's an older movie, the Christian overtones are fully presented and celebrated. Two weeks later we're still singing his catchy thankfulness song and Chloe's still asking to watch the movie!
No comments:
Post a Comment