9.27.2010

We are ready for some football!

Since this is the third official week of football season looks like I'm a tad late with this post.

Regardless, we ARE ready for some football!

Fall is great; I usually love its arrival. But this year as the summer warmth fades I sense the impending restrictions of colder weather looming. How AM I going to stay sane while housebound with my three active short people? Football is one of the redeeming factors of the season change. (Along with apples, cinnamon, soup, pumpkins, mums and cute halloween costumes that is.)

As is no surprise to you if you've read my blog for any length of time, we are a family of Green Bay Packer fans. Even though we've lived in Ohio for 5+ years now, we are still avid Packer backers. I'm guessing you have to be a native Ohioan in order to cheer for the Browns. It's most likely a contract signed at birth to guarantee the Browns have a residual fan base.

See, I even talk blog-trash about football so you know I'm a true fan.

Every season opener, we celebrate with a Packer themed dinner. We put the TV on while we devour our green and yellow chow. Usually I serve quiche (with broccoli, spinach, peppers, and cheese inside to follow the theme), green/yellow jello, and kiwi or pineapple. This year I had some leftover mashed potatoes so I also whipped up a batch of potato croquettes. Unfamiliar with potato croquettes? That's fancy schmancy talk for FRIED mashed potatoes that have been mixed with cheese and breadcrumbs. Anything fried is automatically thumbs-up in my book but fried PLUS cheese? YUMMOLA. There were no leftovers.

Even with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, the Packers have managed to win both of their first two games. After replacing the amazing and venerable Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers needs to prove himself to me. I'm choosing not to comment on dear Brett's retirement and media fiasco of late. I'm just saying he was the BEST QB to ever don the green and gold. And he's incredibly fun to watch play the game!

That said, I'm curious about you and yours. Are we the only wackos that enjoy football season so much? What team are you rooting for this season and why? What football traditions do you and your familia observe?

And if your team plays the Packers, I sincerely hope we kick your tail.




2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Nice, Alicia :-) We are Colts fans, obviously. I am not so much a football game watcher. Just can't get into it. I'm happy to let my man watch but if he wants blue & white food I'm going to have to get creative.
I'm glad you have this little tradition with your family. It's amazing how those little experiences build your childhood.
And I'm with you on the slight dread of cold weather. We will have to pray each other through!

Carrie said...

yeah you are a little more extreme about football than most people I know. Creative but green and yellow jello..woah! My husband is a lions fan..I follow suit. I get much more excited about watching the years I am on a fantasy team.