This weekend we had a few surprisingly chilly days which reminded me of the impending arrival of fall. Not yet, please! Something about the cooler temperatures triggered the fall baker woman in me. Without realizing it, I baked FOUR TIMES this past weekend. Once a day I baked up something yummy containing cinnamon -- the delectable spice of fall.
The smell of spicy cinnamon hanging in the air is almost motivation enough for baking. I'm also hopeful that baking more for my family will mean that we'll consume fewer processed foods overall. And that's a VERY good and needful change for our family snacking habits.
Here's what I cooked up:
Friday: Dutch Crumb Apple Pie (This is Matt's all-time favorite dessert. Baked this to celebrate our collective survival of his first week back to teaching.)
Saturday: Zucchini Nut Cookies (Had 1 cup of shredded zucchini lying around so I tried this recipe from allrecipes.com. These were DELICIOUS and promptly consumed by my cookie loving tribe. No one could tell there were green vegetables hidden inside. After I revealed the secret veggie ingredient Chloe proclaimed, "Mommy, it is against the law to put vegetables in cookies!" I'm willing to break the law to make these yummies again.)
Sunday: Morning Glory Muffins (In an effort to have easily accessible breakfast sides, I baked up these healthful muffins. Again, Chloe rebuked me for these muffins contain vegetables -- carrots this time rather than zucchini. They are moist, tasty and full of lovely fall spices!)
Monday: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips (Cookie jar was suddenly empty since the disappearance of the zucchini nut cookies mentioned above. The 1/2 bag of peanut butter chips inspired a batch of oatmeal cookie goodness.)
What are you baking these days?
The smell of spicy cinnamon hanging in the air is almost motivation enough for baking. I'm also hopeful that baking more for my family will mean that we'll consume fewer processed foods overall. And that's a VERY good and needful change for our family snacking habits.
Here's what I cooked up:
Friday: Dutch Crumb Apple Pie (This is Matt's all-time favorite dessert. Baked this to celebrate our collective survival of his first week back to teaching.)
Saturday: Zucchini Nut Cookies (Had 1 cup of shredded zucchini lying around so I tried this recipe from allrecipes.com. These were DELICIOUS and promptly consumed by my cookie loving tribe. No one could tell there were green vegetables hidden inside. After I revealed the secret veggie ingredient Chloe proclaimed, "Mommy, it is against the law to put vegetables in cookies!" I'm willing to break the law to make these yummies again.)
Sunday: Morning Glory Muffins (In an effort to have easily accessible breakfast sides, I baked up these healthful muffins. Again, Chloe rebuked me for these muffins contain vegetables -- carrots this time rather than zucchini. They are moist, tasty and full of lovely fall spices!)
Monday: Oatmeal Raisin Cookies with Peanut Butter Chips (Cookie jar was suddenly empty since the disappearance of the zucchini nut cookies mentioned above. The 1/2 bag of peanut butter chips inspired a batch of oatmeal cookie goodness.)
What are you baking these days?
1 comment:
YUM! Your goodies sound great. Chloe didn't boycott the veggie-containing items, did she? I would definitely be trying the "oh, well, more for me, then!" approach! :-) I've been making muffins for the boys for breakfast but those little buggers can polish off muffins like nobody's business. It is really quite crazy. :-)
Post a Comment