9.09.2010

Soul Music

Like most folks, I have particular musical tastes. Of course I'm keen on a variety of artists from differing genres dependent on my mood, inspiration and activity. But when it comes to soul-stirring truth-speaking music, I have a few all-time faves that I keep coming back to. These artists continually resonate with and encourage me in my daily walk.

For me, the artists below have perfectly struck that hard-to-find balance of poetry and music.

Sons of Korah :: This Australian group is led by a theology prof who sets psalms to music. The kicker for me, besides the sincere vocals and meditative music, is that they don't change the words of the psalms (except marginally). Keeping the text pure makes their sound rich and deep.

Shaun Groves :: In my opinion this guy is seriously gifted in poetry. Seriously. His song Last Notes is a simple but incredibly encouraging look at death.

Keith & Kristyn Getty :: This husband and wife team write modern yet theologically rich and alive hymns. Love 'em. Especially Kristyn's prayerful ballad Still.

Sovereign Grace Music :: There are simply loads of songs I dig by these artists! While their poetry/creativity is not always earth-shattering in its presentation, in my mind they've produced some moving and inspiring music. My favorites are the kids' album, Awesome God, and Valley of Vision inspired by the Puritan prayer book of the same name.

I'm always on the hunt for some new favorites! Who are your go-to artists for inspiration, encouragement and spiritual resonance?

No comments: