Tuesday evening we observed a very simple passover. Very simple. I'm talking wheat pita bread and cups of grape juice here. The kids ate while I read a short account of Jesus' celebration of the passover with his disciples in the upper room. Then Matt and Chloe used various blocks to build an upper room for our pipe cleaner people.
Though our homemade visual aids have been almost silly in their simplicity, I know through our kids' eyes the immense truths of Easter are becoming slightly more comprehensible. And these family traditions we're creating are not only
This year we added another element to our Easter preparations. We made an "I'm Sorry" box using Ann Voskamp's idea which she posted over at A Holy Experience. Each time one of us does something worthy of saying "I'm Sorry" we write it down on a slip of paper and insert it into the box.
I envisioned this exercise as a helpful one for Chloe. Most times she is truly a sweet sweet girl and we often praise her for her good behavior. I thought this box would be a much-needed reminder to Chloe of her short-comings and need for a Savior. But in the process, God showed ME my own faults. Pride, impatience, anger, and lack of compassion reared their heads as I wrote out my own "I'm Sorry" slips.
Of course the crowning lesson will come on Easter morning. That's when we toss the box full of our mistakes into the garbage can symbolizing Jesus' complete forgiveness and washing away of our sins. Hallelujah!
"I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins."
(Isaiah 43:25)
Since Chloe loves to sing with me (and I realize music is a stellar way to teach) we've been learning a hymn together for Easter. She and I sing it together most nights together before bed. The Power of the Cross, written by Keith Getty and Stuart Townend, is vivid with imagery in its telling of Jesus' death and implications.
:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::
The princess girly-girl in me thrives on the extra-special pageantry involved in preparation for Easter Sunday morning at church. Unfortunately, we can't afford to go dress-shopping for a big foo-foo Easter dress. Instead I've taken to making Chloe a new dress each year for Easter.
And this year CLIVE gets a matching tie. We'll see how long he keeps it on . . .
And yes, I realize I'm a huge cheesy nerd for forcing my kids to wear matching outfits.
If you're still with me after that monstrously long post, answer me an Easter-y question. What family Easter traditions do you have and/or how do you make Easter meaningful?
3 comments:
Awesome, Alicia!
Kudos to you for being so ambitious when you're 9 months pregnant! That upper room is astounding, by the way. Great ideas, all of them. It's so exciting to see the events become more and more real to the children. Fun!
You have done a tremendous job of teaching your kids all about the importance of Easter. I'm a little convicted to say that our Easter traditions (at this point) mostly revolve around lots of family dinners (at least 3 this weekend). We also have special services at church & a contata. Thanks for the great ideas if we have kids of our own sometime in the future.
You do a wonderful job on their Easter outfits. Yep, it's cheesy to match them but what mom can resist the urge? *grin*
I hope you're feeling great & I can't wait to hear of the newest Horn's arrival!
Happy Easter!
great ideas! we made the mountain this year for the first time. a definite keeper. it really helped make the truths of those days come to life.
Post a Comment