I made a double batch of pumpkin apple bread yesterday afternoon and although it made my kitchen smell divine, it didn't taste quite as good as I had hoped. In fact, Chloe wouldn't eat more than a few bites. She said it tasted like soap. Unfortunately, it did have a baking-soda-ish flavor.
With 8 more cups of pumpkin puree in my freezer, I'm gonna need a better pumpkin bread recipe! I love using allrecipes.com but I don't want to gamble with my next batch of bread. I'd much rather get a tried-and-true recipe from a veteran baker.
Any winning recipes for me?
(Speaking of winning recipes, if you're itching to cook with pumpkin you simply MUST try this pumpkin pancake recipe. It's our favorite fall treat!)
5 comments:
http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/tn/v/tnva9015.htm - This is seriously delicious bread! It's an apple-pumpkin bread and it's the only pumpkin bread recipe that I will make. Yum! ;)
http://twomuths.googlepages.com/lowerfatpumpkinbread
but this one is just okay - it's great for low fat, but so-so in the overall category! :-) I'd go with Rachel's - she has good ideas! :-)
http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/chocolate-chunk-pumpkin-bread-62403.aspx I love this one from kraft foods.. i do change a few things though like use pumpkin spice instead of individual spices and i use toll house chocolate chunks instead of the squares and i still prefer to use can pumpkin but it is so good and easy!
I got the recipe from my mother-in-law...and i just love, love, love it!!! It's from Taste of Home's Family Favorites (p. 73)
Pumpkin Ribbon Bread
Filling:
2 pkgs (3 oz. ea) cream cheese, softened
1/3 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 egg
2 tsp. grated orange peel
Beat cream cheese, sugar and flour together in small bowl. Add egg; mix to blend. Stir in orange peel; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the following:
1 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs.
Add:
1 1/2 C sugar
1 2/3 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 C chopped pecans (optional)
Mix to blend. Pour 1/2 of batter into 2 greased and floured 7 1/2 X 3 1/2 X 3" loaf pans. Carefully spread filling over batter. Add remaining batter, covering filling. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until done tested w/toothpick. Cool 10 min. Remove from pans.
Makes 2 loafs or can make 24 muffins--bake 15-20 min. Store in frig.
http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/
They just posted a pumkin loaf recipe.
Here is another one.
Pumpkin Bread
5 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
1 can (15 oz) solid-pack pumpkin
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 packages (3 oz) cook & serve vanilla pudding mix
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add oil & pumpkin; beat until smooth.
Combine remaining ingredients; gradually beat into pumpkin mixture.
(chocolate chips are optional, but highly suggested! :)
Pour batter into five greased loaf pans. Sprinke with cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 325 for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean
Post a Comment