10.01.2009

A new Chloe-ism for your Friday

My sweet Chloe is at a precious age right now. She's not always precious (don't ask me about her new expressions of anger and selfishness) mind you. But in between the lectures and discipline, she's been giving me lots of reasons to smile.

Since Matt has been super busy this fall with teaching, his dissertation, and a list of other resume-building projects too long to mention, he relishes his playing time with the kids. He often plays with them full-force after supper while I clean up the dishes. (And believe me, after a full day with the kids some quiet dishwasher time is extremely enjoyable and necessary for me.) One evening this week, Chloe had it in her mind that she wanted to play wedding. Hence the dish towel veil she's sporting in the picture at left. She was convinced she was going to marry daddy. Here's how the conversation with Matt proceeded . . .

Chloe: "Daddy, c'mon let's go get married"
Matt: "But I'm already married. I'm married to mommy! What about her?"
Chloe: (after pausing to contemplate this conundrum) "Well, mommy can be the flower girl. C'mon, it's time for the wedding."

(At least she didn't ask me to be the maid as she has in the past when playing Snow White. I will NOT play a maid or cook in any pretending game. Too much like my regular job, thank you very much.)

Chloe continued on with their pretending game, complete with asking Matt for a ring and then leading him upstairs to their new "home".

Kids certainly do and say the darnedest things.

3 comments:

Karis said...

You don't have to explain to me how a precious 4 year old can act not so precious at times! :-)

Her play-acting is adorable. Reminds me of the Patch the Pirate song "I Want to Marry Daddy When I Grow Up." Don't know if you've ever heard it or not. I can't remember which one it's on.

I know Matt had to be getting such a kick out of his little girl adoring him so.

Mary Ann said...

A very sweet story! My dad didn't play with me much (maybe b/c I'm the youngest of 3?) so stories like this seem super sweet to me. Chloe is a very blessed girl to have such wonderful parents. Have a great weekend!

Katie said...

So funny.

Luke plays wedding too, but with his friend (a little girl); he doesn't ask his mama to marry him. :) He has told me that he is never going to move out of the house. EVER. He is always going to live with us. (I think the thought of not living with Mom & Dad kinda scares him.:)