Since fall weather hit us with a bang this week and because last week's book in Chloe's five in a row curriculum was How to make an apple pie and see the world (GREAT book by the way) an apple orchard was today's obvious destination.
Matt had a meeting this morning so we dropped him off and headed to a nearby orchard. Unfortunately, it wasn't a pick-your-own apple joint but we still had a lovely time. LOTS of great apples at great prices. Plus a corn maze, pumpkins, a bakery, shop with local homemade items, and plenty of apple trees and gardens to walk through.
We came away with a peck of gala apples for $8. That's approximately 11 pounds of apples so I thought it was a fabulous deal. I currently have about 1/3 of the peck cooking for a big ole pot of applesauce. Yum!
By the way, I'm no good at corn mazes. We had to break our way through the dry corn stalks to find our way out.
Have you done any apple picking this season? What's your favorite way to prepare apples in the fall?
I have a smashingly good applesauce recipe that I never tire of. Though I do tire of peeling and coring the apples.
Happy apple season to you!
7 comments:
Sounds like so much fun! Your pictures are so cute.
I would LOVE to do this. I haven't managed to find an apple orchard or anywhere to pick your own fruit around here. We live too close to the city. We'd probably have to drive an hour or more. I'm taking the boys up to my parents in a few days; maybe we can go to an apple orchard then - though their apples might be done up there. My problem is a lack of freezer space! I can't wait until I can have a 2nd freezer again!
I've never made applesauce. How do you store it? Or do you just make enough to eat up relatively soon?
Have you tried the poncho and sweater I made for Clive and Chloe last year?
Super photos! Looks like fun - I need to take the boys this week. We are so blessed to live close to many orchards, I need to take advantage of it!
KT: I'll email you my applesauce recipe. I make a big batch and then save some for eating and freeze the rest. We all love it and it's great to have on hand for baking too. I bet the apples up north will still be in season. They go through October/early November I believe. Good luck!
Ma: Nope, haven't tried the poncho on Chloe yet. Thanks for the reminder!
Jenny: Yay! Have a blast picking apples! What do they charge for apples per pound up in MI?
Sounds like so much fun! I'm dying to get to an apple orchard. There are a couple nearby, it's just finding the time to go do it. We went to a couple fall festival type things this weekend & really enjoyed it.
Did you freak out in the corn maze? I think I would have...
Love the pictures and it looks like you guys had a blast!!! :)
We went to an apple orchard recently too- still so behind I haven't got the pictures up.
My curiousity is perked about this Five in A Row curriculum. I googled it and saw the website..could you post some more info about it , which one Chloe is doing and why you like it when you get a chance or just email me the info at ssconley@gmail.com. Looks really great. I've researched a lot of curriculums and never heard of this one.
Your kids are getting so big and still cute as ever!
Post a Comment