2.24.2009

Thankful

My day yesterday was a busy and full one. In the midst of a lot of cooking, whiny bored kiddos, and continual nose-wiping, I found myself surprisingly thankful. Oh, I certainly had my own share of impatience in dealing with both Chloe and Clive. (Don't you love having to apologize to your kids for your own ugly anger and impatience? Blech.) But in the background of the day, God graciously gave me a thankful heart.

As Bing so thoughtfully sings,
When my bankroll is getting small, I think of when I had none at all. And I fall asleep, counting my blessings . . .

Here's my list of blessings from yesterday.
  1. Health. The kids have colds but they're not suffering from any major illnesses. A friend of a friend of mine's daughter (did you follow all that?) is in the hospital for the 3rd time today as doctors try to solve her mysterious sickness. The poor little girl has been vomiting for two weeks straight!
  2. Food. We're rediscovering the joys of eating simply. A big ole pot of rice and a big ole pot of pinto beans is surprisingly easy and healthful to boot! Cheap too. :)
  3. Money. Have I mentioned lately how poor we are? :) I feel like that's all I talk about sometimes. But that's because I'm constantly floored by how we're making it on so little. God is faithfully taking care of us. My part-time online job has picked up lately bringing in more income and our taxes promise a summer-sustaining refund.
  4. Matt. He's such a diligent worker! He just started writing the LAST chapter of his dissertation. Precisely he's in the reading phase which precedes the actual writing but we're still talking about the LAST chapter here! After a busy day of teaching freshman writing classes, he took over kid duty last night so I could rush out to run some errands last night. And then we snuggled up and watched some old Seinfeld dvds. What a treasure I have in Matt. (And he's not listed #4 because of importance. My random mommy brain thought of those other things first.)
What are you thankful for?

2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

What a great list of things to be thankful for! This morning I'm grateful for a casual work atmosphere. I have the sniffles too, & overslept some this morning. I just didn't have the energy to hurry, so I threw on a baseball cap, some jeans & a polo shirt. That's the basic uniform & it's so easy. I'm also grateful for a beautiful sunrise & co-workers I can get along with. God is really good to me!

Karis said...

I am thankful for the perspective God's Word gives me!

I enjoyed reading what you're thankful for.